Sb2C Helldiver

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

GregP

Major
Jul 28, 2003
Chino, California, U.S.A.
Yanks Air Museum is working on an SB2C-3 Helldiver and I thought some pics might be nice.

First, the rear gun pops up from inside the rear cockpit and we just got the hydraulics for the rear turtledeck working. Here's a short clip of it:

Personally, I always wondered how the gunner in the Helldiver got his guns up and firing. Now I know. It wasn't exactly fast, but also wasn't slow, either. Main thing is don't shoot off the tail and rudder. It's sure to ruin your day! The two little dark circles in the middle below the plexi are where the gun barrels go when they are stowed.

Next, a few pics including what we've gotten done in the cockpit so far.

SB2C Cockpit.JPG

SB2C Froint Quarter.JPG

SB2C Gear.JPG

SB2C Rear Quarter.JPG

Anyway, it's coming along. Cheers!

Last edited:
Thanks. Actually, I'm not working on it, though. My partner and I are working on a blister turret off of a PB4Y-2 Privateer. We just washed the second one today and got the hydraulic pump and motor out. The pump turns freely, but the motor won't run yet on 28 volts (90 Amps!)... so we removed the armature today and will likely rebuild the motor before starting on the rest.

Anyway, we don't have the guns in the Helldiver yet, and will likely put in airsofts. When we put the airsoft air rifle that looks like a 30-cal MG into the Bell Huey we have, the bolts matched the 30-cal mounts exactly! I'm guessing they will raise hydraulically and then turn manually on a flat ring, but we haven't gotten that finished yet.

Just for completeness, the hydraulic action in the rear cockpit is a lever you pump up and down after selecting the direction you want it to go to move the canopy. No use wasting the weight of a motor!

Cheers. :)

Last edited:
GregP GregP

Is there any chance you got photos of the gunners cockpit where the gun would be

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back