Fw 190A-8 "Red 19" of 5./JG300 Ernst Schröder Gruppe Build (3 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Amsel

Tech Sergeant
Jul 15, 2008
Texas
Gruppe Build
"Mr. Ernst Schröder was born in May 1922 in Köln (Cologne) and developed at an early age, a liking for the aircraft that he could watch not far from his home at the airport Köln-Butzweilerhof. He started to carve models of the aircraft out of wood. He still has some of these models today!.

In 1941 he volunteered to the Luftwaffe and was trained as a mechanic on the He-111. His wish to become a pilot started to become a reality when he was transferred to Kaufbeuren to the pilot school A23 on May 13. 1943. Here he flew Bu-181, Bu-131 Kl-35 and Go-145. After receiving his pilot licence he was transferred in January 1944 to JG.101 in Pau/Lourdes in the south of France for fighter pilot training. He trained on Ar 96, Fw 56, Ar 68, D.520, Me 108, Me 109G-10, Me 109E, Me 109G-2 and Me 109G-6. One of his commanding officers there was Major Walter Nowotny.

In June 1944 he was transferred to the Jagdergänzungsgruppe West were he was introduced to the Fw 190. By this time he had made 449 flights.

On August 6th, 1944 he was posted to 5.JG.300. Lt. Bretschneider lead the Staffel. In the next five weeks he made another twelve flights, totalling 8 hours and 50 minutes, in Fw 190's, making test flights, and transferring aircraft to and from maintenance depots. His first combat flight was on August 6. 1944. He flew 19 of his 41 combat flights with Fw 190A-8/R8 Red 19. His last flight in this aircraft was on October 10th, 1944 when he belly-landed Red 19 after a fight with a P-51 Mustang.

At war's end he escaped becoming a prisoner of war by writing himself dismissal papers in an abandoned Luftwaffe office truck!"

schroederbh_3.gif

I found this nice kit by Hasegawa in 1/48 scale.
DSCF2450.gif

It came with a good decal set. It looks historic and correct.
DSCF2452.gif

and the directions seem detailed and easy to read. I am an inexperienced modeller and do not have an airbrush so I will be hand brushing everything.
DSCF2451.gif

Very nice site. Thanks for adding that link and photo.

I've only built one hasegawa kit, a jet, but it went together lovely, so I'd say this is a well engineered kit. Looking forward to you progress :)

Thanks for joining in Amsel. I'll list you as Category 3; looking forward to your build.
Terry.

Thanks for the encouraging remarks everyone. This group build is a great idea. I have started working on a Panzer VI and a Panzer V, a P-40, and a Me 109 E4 and haven't gotten very far on any of them. I see all my mistakes and get discouraged and buy another kit. This build is a great motivator and learning aid and it makes it more fun to learn to do this with a group.

remember Amsel that Ernst flew a standard A-8 not a SturmFw, I know of one instance while his red 19 was unserviceable he took off in CO Walter Dahls blue 13 this was a full on SturmFw with cowling Mg 131's as well, Ersnt had a B-24 in his sights to let loos and the firing buttons would not work, what had happened was that Walter had set a secondary safety switch on his control column something that Ernst knew nothing about.

so with that stick with a regular four 2cm canon armed A-8 with cowling mg 131's

have fun and go slowly, we had a bunch of material on our old Sturmgruppen web-site thinking this might be the sight that Roman tried to list but aol pretty much told thier web-sites to go away and shut down all accounts

E ~

E `

Amsel, go to the Siegfried Baer A-9 build thread and start at post #82 this will give you some idea of the A-8 kit for some progress work....my A-9 IS the exact same hasegawa kit!

Erich, thank you for bringing up that point. I delved deeper into it to get a better grasp of what you mean. It seems that other modellers have had some issues with portraying the proper aircraft when building Red 19. Thanks.

I see some references to a red-brown band or gruppe marking. I do not know if I can easily do this as my decals came a bright red. I am also pondering if I should portray the Red 19 before it had the 25 hour check and recieved the red band or the the earlier crate with just the gruppe bar. I guess that may depend on how much frustration I want to put up with. The November 1944 version has added mottling and that may be quite difficult just brushing on because I will not be using an airbrush.

Thanks Wayne for the tip. You have made a great step by step guide for the Fw 190. It sure is the same model! Thank you much. I am studying and searching for tips on painting without the luxury of an airbrush. Do you think it is reasonable to paint by hand?

Thanks Wayne for the tip. You have made a great step by step guide for the Fw 190. It sure is the same model! Thank you much. I am studying and searching for tips on painting without the luxury of an airbrush. Do you think it is reasonable to paint by hand?

Mate if thats all you have go for it, check out Terry's (Airframes) D-9 black 12 build he has done a fine job with the brush.....

I'll echo Les', Amsel. Don't be afraid to ask questions, however basic they might seem - there could well be someone else wanting to know the same thing, but too nervous to ask! No such thing as a dumb question, otherwise it wouldn't be a question!
Wayne's right, as I had trouble with the paint I was using, a lot of my Dora is brush painted, including the mottle, although the base colours were sprayed mainly. If you need help with this ASK! I'll try to help where I can, although describing a technique is not as good as demonstrating. As for your choice of colour scheme, go with what you are happy with - maybe start with a view that you can always change to the later/earlier scheme if things go not according to plan. (Things don't go wrong, just 'not according to plan'!!)
Terry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back