**** DONE: 1/48 Messerschmitt Bf 110 G-2 - Me/ Fw Group Build. (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Gerry that's got to one of the best looking spinner paint rings I've seen in a long time. Well done mate.
happy0034.gif

Thanks Vic, but see my explanation, above :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thnaks for clearing that up Gerry.

Mathematical solution to the spiral? I think not! When I painted the spirals on my HE 219, I used a Tamiya FW 190 spiral decal as a template to make the mask. Worked very well and did not tax my brain.

Definitely a mathematical formula - the angle of the dangle equals the tilt of the glass minus the contents of the bottle divided by cubes of ice times 2.............

What an exceptional job you did on those spinners Gerry! Well done! Not quite clear how you did it since if you started with the white, I don't see how you got such a sharp line for the red because that edge of the mask would have tended to wrinkle.

As for bleeding, what you can do is seal the mask edge with a bit of paint of the colour that you would bleed into (in your case white), then once dry, paint the new colour. That way any bleeding that does occur will be the same colour as the surface it bleeds into.

Now listen up! Here's the diagram of what I so clearly explained in post 186:

A scale profile of the spinner is used and the centerline is drawn on. Place a ruler on the point where the center of the band meets the edge of ths spinner on the profile such that the ruler just touches the edge of the spinner but does not intersect it. The line that's formed is the tangent which, if you could imagine the thing in 3D now, would form a cone if spun completely around the spinner. The distance R from the band to the apex of the cone is the radius of the mask, shown at right. The length of the mask is the diameter at the band (D) times pi. Tada!8)

Now to be a SArse teach and for no reason than to be just abusive(teachers always were to me) lets go Intergrate the the surface of the spinner from it's widest pt.to the white line under the curve(no reason too but they made us do this) :oops: It has been along time Andy since I have done any of that stuff :lol: thanks for the memories.

Thanks David and Kevin.

Kevin, my brain is starting to hurt. I think it's back to Terry's formula.

Just a quick update. Most of the last few days have been spent sanding, filling, sanding again, testing - ad infinitum I reckon I've gone as far as I'm capable, without causing more damage than repair, and am reasonably happy with the result. But this is the part of building I dislike most, so I'm finding it very hard to stay motivated.

Missing panel lines have been re-scribed, with the help of Dymo tape. I then masked up for the yellow under-cowlings and rumpfband. As you can see, I didn't stint on the masking tape! When it dries, the masking will be removed and the yellow portions masked so the RLM 76 can be touched up to give some areas a faded look. Then I hope to mask for the upper camouflage.

In tandem, I've started on the drop tanks and underwing mortar attachments - so getting there, slowly but surely. BTW, the yellow rudder is from my old Galland's 109E, and is being sanded and repainted to apply the correct victory bars.

Attachments

• Yellow nacelles.jpg
    Yellow nacelles.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 128
Definitely a mathematical formula - the angle of the dangle equals the tilt of the glass minus the contents of the bottle divided by cubes of ice times 2.............

Terry... :lol:

Great work Gerry!....and I hear ya on the 'doing more damage than good' thing - I've gone too far on the 262 wings, may replace one set completely.

Gerry

I'm confused now what G-2 from what unit are you building ? if from ZG 76 during Reich defense the under engine nacelles are RLM 76 not yellow

Progressing nicely Gerry, I like your masking routine I always find it a bit of an arduous task and I'm hoping Erich's not thrown a spanner in the works over the nacelles colour

Users who are viewing this thread

Back