**** DONE: 1/48 Messerschmitt Bf 110 G-2 - Me/ Fw Group Build. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sorry to hear about the problems Gerry. I used a spray can once for varnish, and never again, as a similar thing happened.
For the final clear coats, I now use Klear (Future), mixed with Tamiya Flat Base, in order to produce the desired finish. That is, 'straight' Klear for gloss, and a proportional mix with the flat base for anything else, from semi-gloss, semi-matt down to a full matt. (Luftwaffe paints had a slight sheen, just 'down' from semi-matt, but not full matt.)
I normally mix-up a batch, and store it in an old Tamiya paint jar. It's quick and easy to make - just takes a little experimenting to achieve the desired finish, which can be tested on a piece of 'scrap', and is dry in minutes. If too much Flat Base is added, the mix will go milky, and at worst will dry with a white, 'chalky' deposit. This is easily rectified by adding a touch more Klear, and so on.
Hope this helps.

That sucks Gerry.Nothing like digging a ditch and filling it up :(

Sad news indeed Gerry but from the sounds of it you are keeping your cool and your calm will prevail and win. As usual Mr T has come up with a good alternative to the spray varnish.

Gentlemen, thank you all for your kind words of commiseration.

In retrospect, perhaps it was lucky it happened when it did, as it has turned out easy enough to rectify. If it had happened after decaling and weathering, it would have been a much bigger problem, and if I had to reorder decals, at this stage, could have knocked me out of the build.

Terry, Thank you for your varnish solution (no pun intended). It's not something I was aware of, but I'll bear it in mind for future use. I had assumed that I was at fault for not letting the first coat dry, but if it's a fault in the spray varnish, that's a bigger issue. I have been using the Humbrol Enamel Matt Aerosol spray up to now and indeed finished off my Bf 109 E, using it, without any problems. But this is something I'll be very wary of, in the future.

So here's where I am at the moment. Having given the wing surfaces a sanding I resprayed the RLM 75. When dry, I re-masked and sprayed the RLM 74. This is slightly different from my first attempt. as I am doing it by eye, rather than using precise measurements. I then redid the panel lines - these are getting shallower with the extra coats of paint and varnish. The masks were removed and a couple of coats of straight Klear were sprayed to protect the panel lines and to prepare the surface for the decals. The photos are of the revised paintwork.

If I'm happy with the surface, the next step is to start with the decals. I've also started masking the canopies, while waiting for the varnish to fully dry. As I'm intending to display the canopy open, this will probably mean masking them internally as well.

At this stage, most of the sub-assemblies are ready for attaching, so hopefully, I'm aiming to get this finished in the next week or so, barring no more disasters.

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 126
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 131
  • Repainted Port nacelle.jpg
    Repainted Port nacelle.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 141
  • Repainted starboard Nacelle.jpg
    Repainted starboard Nacelle.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 126
  • Repainted Tail.jpg
    Repainted Tail.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 136
Thanks Karl, Terry and Andy. Yup, that's sunshine, but only appears late in the afternoon here, hence the oblique shadows.

Thanks Terry, Wayne, Peter, Wurger and Vic for your positive comments. I've spent the last two sessions decaling and I'm still not finished! Shouldn't be too much longer, though and I'll post some more pics, then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back