**** DONE: 1/48 Messerschmitt Bf 110 G-2 - Me/ Fw Group Build.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Jerry, Gnomey, Vic and Glenn. And Maximowitz, thanks for looking in. I understand that you're the Bf 110 enthusiast on the Forum! Hope it doesn't disappoint.

Well, it's taken me this long to complete the decals. Most came with the kit, with the exception of the swastikas and the aircraft codes, which are a combination of bought-in (swastikas), decals donated by Andy (Crimea_River) and some (the 'E' and M8) that were home printed. These decals are, as yet, without a coat of gloss protective varnish (Klear), which will be applied before any further weathering is done. Other than that, I used photographic references as much as possible for the positioning of the decals, but where none were available, relied on the kit instructions, particularly for the undersides.

The trickiest bits to apply, I found, were the bl**dy swastikas, which come in two halves. these were a bug**r to position, as what looked right when one half went down was wrong when the second piece was added, so the whole thing had to be repositioned again and again. And even then, theres still a thin hairline join which will need to be retouched.

The starboard slat position was damaged when I was sanding the wing for the overpaint. This will be repaired before I add the slats - and I knocked a balance horn off the ailerons, which will also be refixed before finishing.

Attachments

• Top Decals.jpg
    Top Decals.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 160
  • Bottom Decals.jpg
    Bottom Decals.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 153
  • Port front decals.jpg
    Port front decals.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 207
  • Port rear Decals.jpg
    Port rear Decals.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 174
  • Starboard front Decals.jpg
    Starboard front Decals.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 170
  • Starboard rear Decals.jpg
    Starboard rear Decals.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 170
  • u.jpg
    u.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 206
Thanks again, Maximowitz.

I reckon the end is in sight, at last, on this one. However, as I've said before, I don't have great references for the undersides and I have some queries on what the instructions are indicating for antennae etc.

In the diagram below, I'm assuming that part 34, the ladder, is optional? If so I have decided not to include it in the build. Parts 35 37 look like two antennae. I've seen what looks like part 37 featured in photos of the G2 but is it correct to include part 35 also? Lastly, part 36. Is this an aerial of some sort, and if so, is it relevant to the G2 rather than the G4 variant? I've seen no evidence of it in the profile photos of the G2 I have seen.

Last question: The di-pole aerials, in cross-section were they circular (O) or flat (-)?

I'd appreciate it if anyone can throw some light on these queries.

Gerry :confused:

Attachments

• Bf 110 Ladder .jpg
    Bf 110 Ladder .jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 144
Gerry, the step retracted, so would normally be down when on the ground. Part 37 is the standard fairlead fairing for the trailing aerial, not sure about the one adjacent without looking it up - probably an alternative, earlier mounting of same.
Far as I remember without checking, Part 36 is the IFF antenna, alongside the standard Lorenz beam approach multiple dipole antenna.

Thanks Gnomey, and thanks again Terry for your prompt response. I understand from what you're saying, that the (red/white) ladder was an integral, retractable part of the airframe and would be more correct to be shown. Part 37 should be included, hold off on part 35 until further clarification and include part 36, the IFF antenna.

That's incredibly helpful to get that clarified so quickly and I really appreciate it.

Gerry :D

You're welcome Gerry. As for the ladder, it's up to you which way it's displayed. If the canopies are closed, then the ladder would probably be stowed, and vice versa.

Excellent work Gerry! This one's looking really good my friend!

EDIT: Sorry I was looking at your earlier posts from today and didn't see your question. Part 36 is, I believe, the antenna for the FuG 25 IFF. Depends on the aircraft as some of these were installed on even late E models. One ofthe pics of your rig suggest it is there. If you install it, make it from very thin stretched sprue as this thing was quite fine.

Part 35 goes on all 110's. Part 37 is the Morane antenna for an FuG 16ZY device commonly seen on FW190's and mounted on some later 110's. Doesn't appear in photos of your rig.

Last edited:
Thanks Terry, Andy, Vic, Wayne, Kevin and Glenn. While there appears to be a slight conflict in both Terry's and Andy's reply on the antennae question, is it best to go with photographic evidence? If there's any further clarification, it's not something I'll be attaching 'til the end of the build.

in the instructions, the attached IFF aerial, part 36, is shown lying diagonally across the bottom of the fuselage. I understood that it came down vertically from the fuselage. Am I right in that?

I'm going to seal the decals with a couple of coats of Klear now and finish off masking the canopy. After that , some weathering, then attaching the canopy, the undercarriage and underwing stores and that should be it. I'll post some more photos as work progresses.

The IFF antenna should be at an angle of around 45 - 50 degrees from the curve of the fuselage, viewed front or back, but vertical when viewed from the side, if that makes sense ?!!
If the Morane antenna is not shown in photos, then leave it off and fit the other one. The Morane also supplemented the earlier fit.

OK Terry, thanks for the further clarification, I understand what you're saying.

At this stage, I've added the landing approach aerial, made from straightened staples, then curved at the end - and the Quickboost exhausts. The exhausts were first airbrushed black/grey, then a coat of Revell Rust was roughly painted over, leaving some of the black showing. Finally, a very light coat of Revell Orange was dry-brushed to give a 'freshly rusted' appearance. Some pastel 'sooty smoke' will be added at a later stage.

That's it for now, talk again soon.

Attachments

• Dipole aerial.jpg
    Dipole aerial.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 141
  • Exhausts.jpg
    Exhausts.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 137

Users who are viewing this thread

Back