**** DONE: 1/48 Messerschmitt Bf 110 G-2 - Me/ Fw Group Build. (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Gerry

Staff Sergeant
Jan 4, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
Username: Gerry
Name: Gerry
Category: Intermediate (?)
Model: Bf 110 G-2 (possibly R3 Version)
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Revell
Aftermarket additions: Possible Aires cockpit. Possibly New Decals.

This is a little vague at the moment but I'm hoping to join the Group Build with this entry. As this is my first Group Build, I'm not sure what my category should be, based on the two Start-to Finish builds I've already posted on the Forum, so I'm open to that being changed, if the judges think fit.

Having had a look at what's already been entered, I thought I'd go for this version of the Bf 110, as it's one I'm not familiar with and so far, hasn't been entered by anyone else.

Looking at the entries already submitted, I suspect I'm going about this backwards. Most of you have a specific aircraft/pilot in mind for your submission, then choose the kit appropriate to that. I've picked a kit I liked the look of and am now beginning to research an appropriate subject.

This is my first Bf110 build and although I have some familiarity with the C and D versions, I hadn't come across this G version before, except as a nightfighter. So I'm really starting from a low level of knowledge on this build. At least on my previous Bf109E build, I knew of some of the pilots. With the 110, I don't even have that basic level of knowledge.

I've posted some photos of the kit and schemes. I have two initial questions:
1. Would anybody know if there are any major inaccuracies with the kit that have to be addressed?
2. Are the two schemes supplied with the kit accurate to the aircraft depicted?
I've already done a quick Google search for 110 G-2 Decals but so far without any joy, so I may have to build to the kit decals.
There's a separate nose cone supplied with the kit, incorporating two cannon, which will possibly allow me to build a different variant?

I don't think I'll be in a position to start building for 2-3 weeks but in the meantime will be trying to dig up as much info as possible on this variant. I anyone can help, or point me to any source of information, I'd be very grateful.

Cheers, Gerry

Attachments

• Bf 110 G-2 Sprues 1.jpg
    Bf 110 G-2 Sprues 1.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 560
  • 110G 5.ZG 76.jpg
    110G 5.ZG 76.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 1,161
  • bF110 Box Art.jpg
    bF110 Box Art.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 1,675
  • 110G 'Horst Wessel' copy.jpg
    110G 'Horst Wessel' copy.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 685
  • Bf 110 G-2 Sprues 2.jpg
    Bf 110 G-2 Sprues 2.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 581
  • 110G-2 Decal Sheet.jpg
    110G-2 Decal Sheet.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 612
Last edited by a moderator:
personally man I would not go with the depicted spinner colours or the decals - colored coded letters

Gerry try and find the old Bf110G-2 thread as this model was tackled earlier then I lost track of it, several of us added comments and fotos for the model to be made.

I'll see what I can dig out on colour schemes/markings Gerry, although Paul (Maximowitz) will be of more use I think!
As far as the kit goes, it's basically the same main mouldings as their G-4 which I built for the first GB, and reasonably accurate overall. As far as I remember, there were some slight gaps on the underside of the wing to fuselage joints, easily taken care of, which should be shown in the thread on the above build.

Gerry, I'll take a rummage through my stuff as I may have something for you. The alternate nose you have there is the mod where they remove the machine guns in front and replaced them with twin MK108s. Of course, Revell force you to go find your own swastikas.

Thanks to everyone for your warm welcome to the Me/FW Group Build, particularly to those of you who have offered to dig out references. I was relieved to hear from Terry that the kit is basically sound but not so happy with Erich's observations that the kit decals are doubtful, although that's a bridge that can be crossed, later.

You may be able to see from the 'Similiar Threads' box at the bottom of this page that I have already been directed to Andy's (Crimea_River) build of his Bf 110C and to Erich's Bf 110G-4 build. I found Terry's (Airframes) Bf 110G-4 build in the 'Defence of the Reich' Group Build. In addition to this, I happened upon B17engineer's build of this kit (thanks to Erich) which has fresh links to builds by Lucky13, and carmen1877's build of a G-4. Just a brief flick through these has already overwhelmed me with the amount of information on the Bf 110, on the Forum. I reckon there's about 6 months reading in these threads alone!

So off now to do a bit of swotting...more later.

Good one Gerry, welcome on your First GB. I see you have plenty to research from the leads on this site, so get to it and I look forward to your choice on this one

Cheers

Peter

There's a picture on page 116 of "The Sting of the Luftwaffe" by John Vasco that looks like it could be 2N+FN, possibly "EN" as the letter is cut off. I won't post it without John's permission but can confirm that it appears to have the under-fuselage weapons pack and the modified nose. The picture has the plane on the ground after a landing gear mishap so little can be seen of the underside. Can not confirm the yellow cowl undersides and wingtips but the white RV band is there. Also can not confirm the rocket tubes. Spinners definitley have a colour demarcation about half way from the tip to back. The letter N and the red F would make it consistent with the 5th staffel of II Gruppe, squadron colour red so the red tips on the spinners could arguably be correct. The Revell scheme for this plane is plausible in my opinion.

Crimea

you prove my point that the decals are all wrong, go back to page 1 and read what unit is posted ............... ZG 76. the code for a ZG 76 bird should be M8. the craft depicted should read 5./ZG 1. the letters and spinner ends may be yellow. spring of 1944 not winter as the birds had the spiralschnauze fitted and the birds were painted partially white/grey camo as I posted a couple pics in Luckys build thread. ZG 1 had a white rumpfband, ZG 26 had a narrow white rumpfband, ZG 76 had a wide yellow band all for the units Bf 110G-2's later this seems to be changed to forms of wide red bands or removed altogether. 4th and 6th staffel crates personal aircraft ID letters look dirty white or yellow for both of them, so am not sure about the red in this case. page 116 both photos are dark and faded. the "E" may be yellow in this case in the upper pic on page # 116.

Last edited:
another pic(s) of interest are pages 104, bottom and page 109 top, note the letters and bands and spinner tips, all standard cannon fits with underneath twin 2cm and lower nose 2cm weapons. upper nose 3cm twins like on the G-4 night fighter were a rarity for the 110G-2 during daylight ops as the crew had to get in close within 50-100 yards range to be effective, US bomber gunners would of made mincemeat out of every 110G getting within that range.

Thanks, Peter. I also love Chris' (Njaco's) point.

When I started trawling through the threads looking for other Bf110 builds, I thought that the obvious point to start would be the 'Defense of the Reich' and the "Commonwealth/ Nightfighter' Group builds. I was really surprised to find in both groups only one 110 entry - Terry's Bf 110G-4. Here in the Me/FW Build, I see that there's already five Bf 110 builds entered, including my own. And at the rate Woljags is getting through his builds, there's potential for at least another five!! I've long regarded the Bf 110 as the work bus of the Luftwaffe, and true to form, you don't see one for ages - then five turn up at once!

Erich, I think Lucky13's "Pulk-Zerstorer' Build is the one you referred to. After reading through Terry's Bf 110G-4 thread, I've only gotten through the first 11 pages of Lucky13's. Even at that, I can see that there's an awful lot of good information there, which I need to digest and consider.

Andy Erich I can only marvel at your discussion and thank you both for your contributions. I'm sure your conclusions will help me in choosing an appropriate scheme.

And finally, Wayne :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back