Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: **** DONE: 1/48 Messerschmitt Bf 110 G-2 - Me/ Fw Group Build.

Post Thanks / Like

**** DONE: 1/48 Messerschmitt Bf 110 G-2 - Me/ Fw Group Build.

Username: Gerry
    Name: Gerry
    Category: Intermediate (?)
    Model: Bf 110 G-2 (possibly R3 Version)
    Scale: 1/48
    Manufacturer: Revell
    Aftermarket additions: Possible Aires cockpit. Possibly New Decals.

This is a little vague at the moment but I'm hoping to join the Group Build with this entry. As this is my first Group Build, I'm not sure what my category should be, based on the two Start-to Finish builds I've already posted on the Forum, so I'm open to that being changed, if the judges think fit.

Having had a look at what's already been entered, I thought I'd go for this version of the Bf 110, as it's one I'm not familiar with and so far, hasn't been entered by anyone else.

Looking at the entries already submitted, I suspect I'm going about this backwards. Most of you have a specific aircraft/pilot in mind for your submission, then choose the kit appropriate to that. I've picked a kit I liked the look of and am now beginning to research an appropriate subject.

This is my first Bf110 build and although I have some familiarity with the C and D versions, I hadn't come across this G version before, except as a nightfighter. So I'm really starting from a low level of knowledge on this build. At least on my previous Bf109E build, I knew of some of the pilots. With the 110, I don't even have that basic level of knowledge.

I've posted some photos of the kit and schemes. I have two initial questions:
    1. Would anybody know if there are any major inaccuracies with the kit that have to be addressed?
    2. Are the two schemes supplied with the kit accurate to the aircraft depicted?
    I've already done a quick Google search for 110 G-2 Decals but so far without any joy, so I may have to build to the kit decals.
    There's a separate nose cone supplied with the kit, incorporating two cannon, which will possibly allow me to build a different variant?

I don't think I'll be in a position to start building for 2-3 weeks but in the meantime will be trying to dig up as much info as possible on this variant. I anyone can help, or point me to any source of information, I'd be very grateful.

Cheers, Gerry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -bf110-box-art.jpg   -bf-110-2-sprues-1.jpg  

-bf-110-2-sprues-2.jpg   -110g-2-decal-sheet.jpg  

-110g-5.zg-76.jpg   -110g-horst-wessel-copy.jpg  

Last edited by Wurger; 08-30-2011 at 05:01 PM. Reason: The title correction

Post Thanks / Like
    The next Bf110...nice. Maximowitz will be glad of that.

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks like a nice model, I'm looking forward to follow your build.

"Ich bitte um Ausrüstung meines Geschwaders mit Spitfires." Adolf Galland, "Die Ersten und die Letzten".

Post Thanks / Like
    personally man I would not go with the depicted spinner colours or the decals - colored coded letters

Gerry try and find the old Bf110G-2 thread as this model was tackled earlier then I lost track of it, several of us added comments and fotos for the model to be made.
    Rip it up !

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll see what I can dig out on colour schemes/markings Gerry, although Paul (Maximowitz) will be of more use I think!
    As far as the kit goes, it's basically the same main mouldings as their G-4 which I built for the first GB, and reasonably accurate overall. As far as I remember, there were some slight gaps on the underside of the wing to fuselage joints, easily taken care of, which should be shown in the thread on the above build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool Gerry,looking forward to your build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice selection Gerry and welcome to the build.

At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, we will remember them.
    Lest We Forget

Post Thanks / Like
    got the same kit Gerry, will see what i can dig up if i ever get another day off work

I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.
    "Winston Churchill"

"I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted.
    W.C. Fields

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice to see you in the group build Gerry looking forward to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gerry, I'll take a rummage through my stuff as I may have something for you. The alternate nose you have there is the mod where they remove the machine guns in front and replaced them with twin MK108s. Of course, Revell force you to go find your own swastikas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to everyone for your warm welcome to the Me/FW Group Build, particularly to those of you who have offered to dig out references. I was relieved to hear from Terry that the kit is basically sound but not so happy with Erich's observations that the kit decals are doubtful, although that's a bridge that can be crossed, later.

You may be able to see from the 'Similiar Threads' box at the bottom of this page that I have already been directed to Andy's (Crimea_River) build of his Bf 110C and to Erich's Bf 110G-4 build. I found Terry's (Airframes) Bf 110G-4 build in the 'Defence of the Reich' Group Build. In addition to this, I happened upon B17engineer's build of this kit (thanks to Erich) which has fresh links to builds by Lucky13, and carmen1877's build of a G-4. Just a brief flick through these has already overwhelmed me with the amount of information on the Bf 110, on the Forum. I reckon there's about 6 months reading in these threads alone!

So off now to do a bit of swotting...more later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good one Gerry, welcome on your First GB. I see you have plenty to research from the leads on this site, so get to it and I look forward to your choice on this one

Cheers

Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Gerry think the build I ws referring too was either B-17's or Lucky's or both with the photos included
    Rip it up !

Post Thanks / Like
    Is this for the Bf 110 / Me 210 / Me 410 Gruppe Build? Lot of them around. Love it!

"If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it's English, thank a soldier!"

Post Thanks / Like
    There's a picture on page 116 of "The Sting of the Luftwaffe" by John Vasco that looks like it could be 2N+FN, possibly "EN" as the letter is cut off. I won't post it without John's permission but can confirm that it appears to have the under-fuselage weapons pack and the modified nose. The picture has the plane on the ground after a landing gear mishap so little can be seen of the underside. Can not confirm the yellow cowl undersides and wingtips but the white RV band is there. Also can not confirm the rocket tubes. Spinners definitley have a colour demarcation about half way from the tip to back. The letter N and the red F would make it consistent with the 5th staffel of II Gruppe, squadron colour red so the red tips on the spinners could arguably be correct. The Revell scheme for this plane is plausible in my opinion.

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast