**** DONE: P-51B Mustang "Shangri-La" Cpt D.Gentile 336th FS - A/c of the Aces GB (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That kit only comes with the one type of tank, the 108 gallon paper tank and yes, it was painted with a silver or light gray aircraft dope. Not much weathering but some spill lines around the filler cap would not look out of place.

Far as I remember, the Group were still using the metal 'tear drop' tanks at this period, not included in the kit. The kit's tanks are the 'paper' version, painted in silver dope. The similar shaped tanks painted grey were the metal version, without the reinforcing ribs on the nose.
EDIT: - Check the B&W pic I posted, showing the metal 'tear drop' tanks. These are probably Neutral Grey, but have also been seen in Olive Drab.

Last edited:
Thanks guys

Yup those solid tanks must be olive drab, i dont think i have ever seen the silver ones before.

I have seen a couple of the salt lake racers vets made from drop tanks after the war .. awesome if a bit mad !!
1951-tom-beatty-belly-tank-lakester.jpg

Had my first adventure with my airbrush and am pretty pressed with the results using vallejo air paint. Though man it dries fast in the nozzle.

Dave, add a single drop of the Vallejo air thinner along with the air paint into the pot of your airbrush, mix it and it should prevent clogging. Also only use about 3 drops of the paint at a time, it spreads a long way.

Ok a bit of a chunky update, as i had more modelling time than i did camera time ....

I sprayed the underside with some us light grey, shows up a need for some filler just at the front of the wing joint .... My first proper go with the airbrush so fairly pleased with that so far
DSC_6793.jpg

Next the top deck in olive drab, again pretty pleased with the finish compared to my efforts with the hairy stick

DSC_6794.jpg

And finally fast forward a bit from where i didnt have the camera to hand, Most the decals on after a splash of future ( again 1st time i have tried that ) and a bit of experimental weathering

The cockpit canopy hasnt gone well, the cement seemed to wick up a bit .... need to try some pva or something next time , but other than that moderately pleased so far for a newbie

DSC_6798.jpg

Thanks for looking

Looking good.

Like the screws effect, I noticed this in the photos, OD US planes often had little silver dots from teh paint being worn off the screws!

oh bollocks
Don't worry about it, if you don't have another decal there are a lot of after market US markings out there.

Easy way to remember with US planes, tip of the wing star points in the same direction as the nose, and ALWAYS on the left when the marking has bars.

Thanks for the encouragement

I will press on for now and see how i feel when shes nearer done, as i screwed the canopy a bit anyway....

Its all fun and very much a learning exercise . Lots of things I will do different next time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back