**** DONE: P-51B Mustang "Shangri-La" Cpt D.Gentile 336th FS - A/c of the Aces GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

tigerdriver

Staff Sergeant
Sep 20, 2010
Norwich UK
www.seloc.org
Username: Tigerdriver
First name: Dave
Category: Beginner
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Tamiya
Model Type: NA P-51B Mustang
Aftermarket addons: None planned
Decals: OOB

OK my first kit since the winter as I have been away looking after my Dad . And my first group build. So be kind and stand ready to help!!

This is an utterly un original choice, straight from the box. I am sure both the pilot and craft will be very familiar to almost all of you so I wont bore you all with too much history. C. Gentile was certainly a character, sent home at the end of his tour following a crash whilst buzzing his own base !

As i live in Norfolk ( thats the real one in the uk as opposed to Virgina ;) ) I am totally surrounded by former WWII airbases. The local airport was a Liberator base, as was Hethel, home of my first love, Lotus sports cars. The 336th FS was based about 40 miles away at RAF Debden. The 357th Yoxford Boys and 352nd " Blue Nosers of Bodney" were within a few miles .

The kit looks to be the usual Tamiya smooth job. I know the cockpit floor is incorrect, representing the earlier curved floor not the proper flat one, and I will try and get the undercarriage at the correct angle.

Other than that nothing flash attempted, I will just be pleased to do this lovely kit justice

Last edited by a moderator:
My first group build, too! We'll have to stick together among all these veterans! :) Looking forward to watching your Mustang come together!

Excellent choice!

In fact, i plan on making Don's plane myself one of these days!

Thanks for the kind words chaps, looking forward to trying to move my modelling up a notch

I have a lot to learn to even get close to usual standards here, but decided to enter the GB for the fun, camaraderie and for a bit of motivation. Always been a bit of a fan of the P-51 , will shove some pics of the pit up over the weekend

You will do fine TD, I post my stuff and its quite average compared to these fellas, i'm sure yours will be excellent!

Well i had a mess about with the cockpit .... painted most of it ZC with some grey and black as indicated by the instructions , and had a bit of a test fit ... will tidy up and apply a bit more weathering

eagle.jpg

I've just pulled your pic up and had a close look at it Dave and in my opinion mate your definitely on the right track. it's looking good.

With all, and well said Wayne. I picked up the same kit back in June at a swap and am looking forward to seeing how it goes together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back