**** DONE: P-51B Mustang "Shangri-La" Cpt D.Gentile 336th FS - A/c of the Aces GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Here you go. Note the difference in the spinner colours, depending on dates. The last shot is Gentille's aircraft after he hit the field at Debden during his low pass on the 'Press' day. The rumour is, it was Bull-dozed into a farmer's pond on the edge of the airfield, and is possibly still there !

Attachments

• Can Jan 085.jpg
    Can Jan 085.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 685
  • Can Jan 086.jpg
    Can Jan 086.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 274
  • Can Jan 087.jpg
    Can Jan 087.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 819
  • Can Jan 090.jpg
    Can Jan 090.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 445
  • Can Jan 088.jpg
    Can Jan 088.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 314
Now that last shot would be The diorama!

Inadequate? We all started out Inadequate. We learn more by our failures than by our "by accident" successes! I have learned more on this forum in the last couple of years than I could ever imagine. You've got a great start going there. I love the A B models, you've made a great choice mate!

Wow thanks for the pics Terry

Never would have guessed the wheels were red either

And the ole kite sure looks pretty well "enjoyed" always a bit worried about over weathering but theres a lot of scuff and scratches on that kite

Note that only the outer, 'spoked' face of each wheel was painted red. The inner faces were the usual steel colour. I remember building and painting the old Monogram kit as Gentille's, back in the early 1980s, and being pulled up at an IPMS meeting about the red wheels, which I'd deduced from B&W pics before seeing the colour pics. I was rather pleased to be proved right when I found the first colour pic a few months later !

Great pics Terry. It's funny how some details get overlooked for years until the right set of eyes turns up.

Some more pics Dave.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• 70720598shangrila-final-score.jpg
    70720598shangrila-final-score.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 274
  • tumblr_lh6xefzEal1qasskmo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_lh6xefzEal1qasskmo1_500.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 196
  • 43435608shangri-la-crash-3.jpg
    43435608shangri-la-crash-3.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 2,433
  • 56961739shangri-la-crash-2.jpg
    56961739shangri-la-crash-2.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 198
  • 88031767shangri-la-crash.jpg
    88031767shangri-la-crash.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 550
  • 93592880gentile-ferra-2.jpg
    93592880gentile-ferra-2.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 173
  • 24387786gentile-ferra.jpg
    24387786gentile-ferra.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 204
Progress a bit slower than hoped due to a bad attack of work and family

Got the fuselage and wings offered up last night and the fit looks the usual tamiya excellence .

Hope to get it glued up for real tonight then i will do a few more pics before i start with the colouring in

Thanks for the encouragement guys

Making some progress and a few balls ups along the way

Had my first adventure with my airbrush and am pretty pressed with the results using vallejo air paint. Though man it dries fast in the nozzle.

Also used a mask for the canopy, which i think has mostly worked. Not ever so pleased as there now seems some cement on the inside and i am damn sure i didnt put it there ... ho hum

Onwards and upwards and its all a learning exercise !!

Some pics to follow once swmbo gives me my camera back lol

Quick question, the kit suggests using the large drop tanks for this version of the build, and suggests they are just painted silver, but that looks real odd. Also as they are presumably only ever used one i assume they are never really weathered as such ( bearing in mind in most pics the rest of this plane looks more than a little used !! )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back