1/72 Westland Whirlwind MK.I - Your Favorite Aircraft of All Time GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

jjp_nl

Staff Sergeant
Apr 13, 2011
Username: jjp_nl
First Name: Jelmer
Category: Intermediate
Scale: 1/72
Manufacturer: Special Hobby
Model Type: Westland Whirwind Mk.I
Aftermarket Parts: Essentially none, but it's a multi-media kit that comes with both PE and resin bits

I've been having doubts about joining yet another GB, fearing I might, again, fail to get it done in time, or end up putting a project on the shelf of doom for indefinite time…but with a good many personal favs in the stash I figured I just might as well join in and see what happens.

The problem is picking a good subject. I don't have one particular favourite a/c I just have to build. There's plenty out there I just have to have a kit of. After looking at the stash I picked the Westland Whirwind. If anything, this to me has to be one of the most elegant British designs of the early war years. A nice and slick design with it's somewhat oversized yet streamlined nacelles and…bristling with a 4x20mm battery that could prolly take care of just about anything that ended up in front of it. I don't really think a lot about 'what-ifs' when it comes to a/c that basically didn't make the cut, but looking at the Whirlwind I just can't help but think what might have happened if the problems with the Rolls Royce Peregrine engine would have been sorted out, or if a different and more reliable power plant of sorts would have been installed (Merlin any1?). What a powerful fighter/fighter bomber it could have been in great numbers.

Out of three different versions of this kit I have in my stash I picked this one because I like the dark earth/dark green scheme the best on this baby. So, what does one get upon opening the box? Two sprue of plastic parts. Surface detail is very nice indeed (I expect this short run kit to have some fit issues, so better be careful not to ruin the subtle and crisp details), but sprue attachement point are a little heavy it seems. A sheet of decals including markings for 4 aircraft (two in the dark earth/dark green scheme and two more in dark green/ocean grey scheme) Upon turing the bag holding the decals around one finds a small sheet of PE parts. Next is a small bag of resin parts, and last but not least a neatly packaged canopy.

Small as this kit is (all in all not that much bigger then say a Hurricane in 1/72) I expect it to be a build that will take some time and careful work given the multi-media, short run nature of it but with this GB running until sometime in May I figure it must be possible to finish in time. Off to get some sleep now, and intend to be back tomorrow with the actual work commencing.

Jelmer

Attachments

• 00 - dooske.JPG
    00 - dooske.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 162
  • 01 - rekje 01.JPG
    01 - rekje 01.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 168
  • 02 - rekje 02.JPG
    02 - rekje 02.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 176
  • 04 - decals.JPG
    04 - decals.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 162
  • 05 - PE fret.JPG
    05 - PE fret.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 188
  • 06 - resin parts.JPG
    06 - resin parts.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 170
  • 07 - hood.JPG
    07 - hood.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 168
Not often you see one of these crop up. It's a nice looking machine and don't worry about finishing or not, the fact is your having fun making it.

So, on to the first update of this build.

PIC 1: This shows the wheel bays. Fit of the parts was only so so, a few gaps remained. What I did was mix some CA with talcum powder. You'll get a bit of a paste similar to your average putty. Apply to gaps as usual. Wait for a few minutes to allow it to set up like regular CA, and take out the sanding gear. The Talcum powder makes the CA more suitable to fill larger gaps and it also makes it a bit easier to sand.
PIC 2: Next I glued the wing halves. Fit was quite OK I must say, but the nacelles had some minor gaps to them and a minor step here and there. Sanded it out as good as possible, and again went in with the CA/Talcum Powder mix.
PIC 3: As the CA/Talcum Powder mix set up on the nacelles I moved on to do some work on the interior. PE Instrument panel was glued on the plastic back plate.
PIC 4: The basic interior bulkheads and floor were glued into one of the fuselage halves.
PIC 5: The PE seatbelt was also glued onto the seat.
PIC 67: The last two pics show the nacelles after I sanded down and polished the joins that were touched up with the CA/Talcum Powder mix. Came out as I'd hoped. some minor irregularities remain, but a bead of Mr.Surfacer should take care of the down the line. Some minor scribing needs to be done also to restore a panel line here and there that was very faint to begin with, and sanding all but obliterated it down the line.

So, sofar this is coming along nicely. I'm not sure if I'll use all the PE parts for the interior. Some are so d*mn small I can barely see them, let alone glue them in place in an orderly fashion. Little can be seen of it anyway when all is closed up and canopy put on top.

Attachments

• 08 - wheel bays.JPG
    08 - wheel bays.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 162
  • 09 - nacelles.JPG
    09 - nacelles.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 158
  • 10 - office.JPG
    10 - office.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 220
  • 11 - instrument panel.JPG
    11 - instrument panel.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 162
  • 12 - seat.JPG
    12 - seat.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 177
  • 13 - nacelles 02.JPG
    13 - nacelles 02.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 180
  • 14 - nacelles 03.JPG
    14 - nacelles 03.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Would be great Terry! Funny you should mention an article though. It was an article in Jan '12 FlyPast about the rescue of John Van Schaick that kinda reminded me I had a few kits of the Whirwind lying around. I've got three or four books about it too (in PDF). Given the limited numbers produced and minor role in the war I found it quite surprising that quite a few truly excellent photographs exist of the thing.

Thanks for the encouragement Wayne :) I have good hope this build wil actually be finished in time. You will prolly have to forgive me for cheating a little on the super small PE parts for the interior though. I almost can't see them, nor do I have the appropriate tool to place these super small parts in the appropriate positions. I iight give it a shot nonetheless, but we'll see what comes of that. If I can't manage them and fear it'll end up in a giant CA spill in the cockpit I won't let them bog me down

Last edited:
If ya can't see it don't sweat it, anyway you may feed the carpet monster and that will settle it...

'nuff said :p ....the carpet monster very nearly had a field day yesterday with the IP...lost the small PE section in the centre of the d*mn thing..managed to find it luckily

So, a little (in more way then one) messing around with ultra-small PE parts. Made attempt to glue in place a few throttle levers, mixture control lever, some switch board and the elevator trimming tab hand wheel. This also is the first point where I will likely skip a few PE parts. The prop pitch controls are about half the size of the throttle levers...while the PE fret convenietly holds a bunch if extra levers, they are about half the size of the thottle levers.

I also use a spray can of Army Painters white primer (normally used to prime these metal war games figures, so I figured it would work on PE parts as well) to spray a thin coat of primer on the seat and IP. Looks like cr*p now, but it's meant to make sure the following paint coats stick to the PE areas.

Attachments

• 15 - PE interior 01.JPG
    15 - PE interior 01.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 160
  • 16 - primer on seat and IP.JPG
    16 - primer on seat and IP.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 161

Users who are viewing this thread

Back