Group build #13 Your Favorite Aircraft of All Time (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

T Bolt

Colonel
Mar 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
Group Build #13 is coming up so I thought I would start a thread for discussion.

I'm heavily leaning toward making a 1/48th P-47, but even that leaves me a lot of choices as I have quite a few in my stash including a "D" razorback, a "D" Bubble top, an "M" and an "N" not to mention a couple in 1/72 if I decide to go with that scale. I would really like to make a D-30 to go with my cockpit project, but that would take some modification to the kits I have on hand. I still haven't started looking at decal options yet.

Who would have thought you'd want to do a P-47 Glenn? :lol:

Another shocker, I've got a ex-Hasegawa Revell F4U-7 which I'll be doing, as well as probably a VFA-102 F/A-18F Super Hornet. Either this one:

diamond-dicksflyingplastic.jpg

VFA102-CAG-1195251.jpg

Or this one:

FA18F_NF102_VFA102_050429.jpg

DSCN5894s.jpg

You scared the crap outa me, I thought it was starting and I've still another two or three for the present build.

Me... An F4U-1D from USNAS Livermore Ca.
Because I lived there in the 70's to 90's. The NAS was at the present site of the Lawrence Livermore National Lab.It will be the Tamiya 1/48 with a tow motor.

Attachments

• USNAS LVK.jpg
    USNAS LVK.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 272
I think I have built enough p-40s for awhile.

I would love to do something german but the lack of airbrush prohibits it, i just can't get teh late war camos right without one.

I do have an iwata AB but the hose doesn't fit my old american compressor, and the only local hobby guy could not help on this problem.

Maybe you guys can help, the compressor fits the hose of american airbrushes like Badger but the iwata hose fixture is too large for it.

I do have an iwata AB but the hose doesn't fit my old american compressor, and the only local hobby guy could not help on this problem.

Maybe you guys can help, the compressor fits the hose of american airbrushes like Badger but the iwata hose fixture is too large for it.
If you can take the fitting on the compressor off, take it and the hose to the local hardware store and maybe they can help by either finding or making up a fitting to go between the hose and compressor fitting, or from the hose to the compressor, bi-passing the compressor fitting. Another option would be to get a barb fitting that fits your compressor with a barb that will fit into your hose after you cut off the hose fitting. Secure it with a small hose clamp. Yet another option would be to get a double ended barb and splice your hose to a Badger hose giving you a super long hose that would work.

Could you post a few pictures of the compressor out-spout (outlet piece) and the in-spout ( inlet adaptor) of the airbrush?

I was thinking of that exact same Hornet kit by Revell and maybe a Tamiya Buffalo (which I should of done for build #12)

i did think that Igor but i change my mind between a few different planes every time i think about it !!!!
Agree. I keep going back and forth between the P-47 and the P-40 with the P-51 thrown in now and then with the Spitfire and 109. I've made Spits and 109s recently, have just made a P-51 and am still working on a P-40 and Hawk75 so that leaves the P-47

Could you post a few pictures of the compressor out-spout (outlet piece) and the in-spout ( inlet adaptor) of the airbrush?
Yes.

Aztek airbrush hose, large apature fits compressor:
Aztekhose.jpg

iwata airbrush hose:
Iwatawithhose.jpg

All hoses togther:
Nozzles.jpg

So we can have more then one "favorite aircraft of all time"? No objections here, it's just I thought there can be only one.

Igor, the 'aircraft' part of the title is plural :) (this theme was my idea)

I also have more than one 'favourite', so trying to decide on just one or two. A Skyhawk is definite though :)

Gezz.... the Ivata one looks like a brake hose. How does look the the compressor outlet ?

Compressor shots.

Overhead with iwata and Aztek hoses for size comparison:
Overhead.jpg

Sideview, standard old fashioned diaphram comprssor, I have another idenitical to it:
Sideview.jpg

Closeup of the hoses and the air outlet:
Airfeed.jpg

Closeup.jpg

Most airbrush/compressor suppliers will have an adaptor to fit the 'Badger' connection to the 'Iwata' connection, the latter being a standard airbrush hose fitting. I was running a Badger with just such a fitting to connect it to my compressor, cost around £4 ($6).
Fit the adapter to the 'Iwata' hose, and fit that hose to the 'Badger' hose.

Yes.

Aztek airbrush hose, large apature fits compressor:
Aztekhose.jpg

Based on the Aztek/Iwata brands you mentioned (and the different sizes of the connectors they generally come with) my guess is you would need a 1/4" female x 1/8" male adapter. Based on the pictures you posted my guess is the 1/4" female goes on the Iwata airbrush and the 1/8" male end goes on the Aztek hose. which in turn can be connected to your compressor as is ...and (hopefully) off you go. I guess it would look something like this.

ABD%2014-18M.jpg

I wouldn't know where to look for an airbrush (web)shop of sorts (near you) that sells these kind of things, but I would say it's a fairly common adapter in the world of airbrushing and based on what I've seen it prolly can be obtained for a few bucks (+ maybe a nother few for shipping)

Cheers!

Jelmer

Rogi, that's the same kit I have! :lol: I also have the decal sheet for the other one.

Igor, I think a lot of people have multiple favourite aircraft. Like for me, my options have one WW2 (or in this case, WW2ish) aircraft, and a modern aircraft. I could almost toss in a Hellcat too just because I've taken a more recent interest in it but that may be pushing it! :lol:

Evan, the Skyhawk you're referring to is the 1/32 kit I presume? Looking forward to see you get started on that one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back