**** DONE: 1/32 Bf109F-4 - Winter War / Eastern Front WWII (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wayne Little

Staff
Mod
Oct 7, 2006
Adelaide Sth. Aust.
User Name: Wayne Little
Name : Wayne
Category : Non Competing Judge
Kit : Hasegawa Bf109F-4/trop
Scale : 1/32
Accessories : Most likely Eduard Seatbelts and canopy masks

The subject of this Group Build is the Messerschmitt Bf109F-4 flown by Hauptmann Horst Carganico, GruppenKommandeur of II/JG 5 during July and early August 1942.
The aircraft is most likely a detropicalized F-4/trop that was destined for the Mediterranean Theatre and redirected to the Eastern Front, as noted by the base camouflage of RLM 79 over 78. It was further camouflaged with RLM70 Green and most likely RLM75 Grey, these additional colours could be seen on other aircraft within II/JG 5 that were similarly delivered in the Desert colours.
This Bf109F-4 is unique in that it has the older BF109E Rounded style Canopy fitted rather than the Square framed Canopy introduced on the Bf109E-4 and universally used on the Bf109F series aircraft.

Attachments

• F-4Carganico.jpg
    F-4Carganico.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 251
Last edited by a moderator:
Reserved for further info....

Bf109F-4 (Trop?) Hptm. Horst Carganico Gruppenkommandeur of II/JG 5 , Petsamo July-August 1942.
This aircraft was most likely a Bf109F-4 Trop destined for the Mediterranean Theatre judging from it's original mid demarcation RLM 79/78 desert finish, before being reassigned to it's new Northern surroundings where additional camouflage and markings were added.

This Bf109F-4 is unique in that it has the older BF109E Rounded style Canopy fitted rather than the Squared frame Canopy introduced on the Bf109E-4 and universally used on the Bf109F series aircraft.
Camouflage on this aircraft has been discussed as being 70/79 over 78, 70/75/79 over 78 and alternatively in 74/75 Greys over 78. I discount this last option as the contrast between the 2 fuselage colours is too great to be the 75/75 Greys.
A number of aircraft shipped to JG 5 were delivered in the Original Desert Scheme and it has been determined that further camouflage was added, these colours were RLM70 and 75 and were applied in large segments over the 79/78 colours
After careful study of photo's of Carganico's aircraft it certainly appears to have RLM70 applied to the Upper fuselage and quite possible that RLM75 could be applied to the wings.

In a side 10 o'clock shot of this aircraft the dark pattern of RLM 70 is clearly obvious on the fuselage over the original RLM79 scheme.
A shot from the rear 7 o'clock position shows a more subdued colour of the wings and similarly along the upper fuselage as you look forward, leading one to believe the colours may be the same.
However the darker colour of the upper portion of the air intake compared to the wing would clearly demonstrate that there are more likely 2 colours in use.

The Bf109F-4, Yellow 10 of Hans Dobrich clearly has 2 additional colours applied over the original 79 Desert Scheme, these colours have been defined as RLM70 Black Green and RLM75 Medium Grey respectively.
The available images of both Carganico's and Dobrich's aircraft when studied alongside each other seem to show a distinct similarity in tonal values for the 70/75/78 colour combination being applied to both aircraft.

Additionally the rudder of this aircraft has been noted as being painted Light Grey or Yellow. It is certainly light in tone and could be either, I will run with Yellow in this instance as the wing tips were painted in this recognition colour and likely the lower nose, so it is possible this colour was used here also.
My reasoning for a Yellow rudder is if you are spraying this colour as a recognition marking on various locations of the airframe, why change to another neutral colour during the process….
It is also possible in the side shot that the rudder is tilted slightly to the left/port in the side photo reflecting sun and making the rudder look lighter in appearance than it actually was.
The rudder carried 50 white Victory Bars edged in Black and within each bar the nationality of each claim can be seen in the form of a British Roundel or Russian Star.

Carganico force landed this aircraft on the 12th August 1942, after sustaining damage in combat.
It was recovered in 1980, been restored and it is currently on display in Canada.

However I will point out that some of the paint work is not quite accurate to the original aircraft, the RLM70 Green painting on the wings does not match what can be seen in one Primary photo (if it in fact is Green?) and the fuselage Green is slightly different also.
The Yellow recognition paint under the wings should also extend inboard to the national insignia.

Attachments

• Carganico Camouflage detail_1.pdf
    537.4 KB · Views: 216
  • Carganico Camouflage Detail_2_Comparrisons.pdf
    482.2 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Ohhhh, another 109 and from the Luftwaffe master as well! I am looking forward to watching this one, Wayne.

Pushy, pushy...:D

Ok done a fair bit this week so far in prep work so hopefully it will come together quickly....here is the opening sequence, the cockpit assembly before I add some paint...

Attachments

• 1_Cockpit Assembly_0758.jpg
    1_Cockpit Assembly_0758.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 206
  • 2_Cockpit Assembly_0759.jpg
    2_Cockpit Assembly_0759.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 192
I wish that were true, I'd be in a much happier position....state of play within the box as of today....lots of stuff off sprues and being readied for construction..

Wing sink done today and panel line on the wing filled.

Attachments

• Box of Bits_0769.jpg
    Box of Bits_0769.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 162
  • 4_Wing Sink_0753.jpg
    4_Wing Sink_0753.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 199
  • 5_Wing sink Gone_0756.jpg
    5_Wing sink Gone_0756.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 193
  • 6_Wing panel Line fill_0771.jpg
    6_Wing panel Line fill_0771.jpg