**** DONE: 1/48 Ju 88 A-4 - Winter War / Eastern Front WWII (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I would say ... RLM66 for the cockpit interior and all areas covered with glass conopies. The rest of surfaces of the interior , e.g.. the fuselage interior , engine covering - the RLM02.

Should be a very interesting build with all of the aftermarket goodies. Is that a vacuform canopy? I've always wondered how those are utilized... i.e. how are they cut from the backing?

Is that a vacuform canopy? I've always wondered how those are utilized... i.e. how are they cut from the backing?
Yes it is part of the CMK cockpit set, It's not super hard to work with really. there are a couple of ways to cut form the main board. first is to cut straight down and then sand the rim. That is not bad unless it is a large part. second and best (to my way of thinking) is to cut around the edge of the part at a steep (45 deg or steeper) and it save the sanding for the most part.

Looking forward to this one, Don. You just might motivate me to drag my Ju-88off the stack. And, Ii do like that bellied in dio idea (better you than me!)

Well I have been remiss I guess. I started yesterday after getting the Kingfisher posted.

I was not sure if I wanted to use the add in cockpit from CMK, I am not a big fan of PE and it was really testing my nerve looking at all the little PE parts, The Carpet monster is calling for a sacrifice already it has gotten one. After trying out the kit cockpit and comparing it with the CMK, CMK won hands down. There simply is not comparison between the two, I doubt I will use the Vacume form canopy and nose though. There are some things the kit is better at. The guns will be from the kit for instance.

I started with step two which was to build the aft fuselage first. As I mention the carpet monster ate a small plug for the aft of the aft fuselage. I found it three times, the forth it was fully gone. First time I was crawling around and though it gone and found it stuck to my knee. Well any way, I cut a section of sprue and stuck it int he hole and be done with it. Damn near lost some small clear parts.

I attached the tail wheel mount as instructed but did not put on the tail wheel. I was trying to avoid this as I have had too many broken over the years and I don't like to attach anything hanging off till the last moment. I wanted to avolid the clear parts as well but I could not see how to avoid them, I like to paint and then put on clear if possible. The DF antenna has a clear housing and there are two antenna insulators aft of that as well as one on the bottom left side of the fuselage.

I then started the kit cockpit to see how it looked as it did not look too bad in the parts tree. Just a little showed me to be right in buying the CMK. I started by painting everything a healthy coating of RML 66 and will start to deatil from there. So here we are.

Attachments

• JU_1.JPG
    JU_1.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 74
  • Ju_2.JPG
    Ju_2.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 72
  • Ju_3.JPG
    Ju_3.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 65
  • JU_4.JPG
    JU_4.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 68
  • JU_5.JPG
    JU_5.JPG
    210.8 KB · Views: 62
  • JU_8.JPG
    JU_8.JPG
    6 KB · Views: 67
  • JU_7.JPG
    JU_7.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 69
  • JU_6.JPG
    JU_6.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 75
  • ju_9.JPG
    ju_9.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 66
  • ju_10.JPG
    ju_10.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 64
Engine controls were driving me batty! I hate tiny PE and though I thought thy looked good, between tweezers pop offs (parts flying out of the tweezers as I tried to put in place) and just plain frustration and loss of the PE. I got my DREMEL out and modified the CMK to take the kit controls.

Attachments

• ju_11.JPG
    ju_11.JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 76
  • Ju_12.JPG
    Ju_12.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 67
  • JU_13.JPG
    JU_13.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 65
Getting a little further.

Attachments