**** DONE: 1/48 Savoia Marchetti S.M.79 II - Mediterranean Theater of Operations (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jeff Hunt

1st Lieutenant
Jul 20, 2012
Guelph Ontario Canada
Username Jeff Hunt
Name Jeff
Category Beginner
Scale 1:48
Manufacturer Trumpeter
Kit # 02817 S.M. 79 II
Accessories None...straight OOB

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my third and final entry for group build #24. I have chosen the Trumpeter kit of the Savoia Marchetti S.M. 79. This will be my first Trumpeter kit and I have read mixed reviews about their stuff but this aircraft intrigues the heck out of me.

This one looks quite daunting but I have plenty of time so we will see how she goes both building wise and time wise as well. As always I gladly accept hints, tips and information etc about these aircraft and I will incorporate these tips into the build if possible.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG

IMG_0008.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0010.JPG

IMG_0011.JPG

IMG_0012.JPG

This kit was a Christmas gift from my youngest son.

Cheers,

Jeff

Any interior/cockpit shots would be helpful, especially if in colour although I am not too hopeful.

The instructions refer to the interior being done as Italian Interior Green which appears to me from a google search to be slightly darker than Tamiya XF-21 Sky. I was thinking of adding a few drops of dark green and mixing up a batch unless I am way off.

Jeff

Managed to sneak down to the workbench for a few minutes today. No pics but I got the props painted and the torpedos are close to being done as well. Have to let the black paint dry before I mask it to paint the head of the fish white.

Off to London ( Ontario ) tomorrow to visit my mother so I do not anticipate getting much done .

I hope everyone had a great Christmas today.

Cheers,

Jeff

Jeff, one of the books I have says that two torpedoes were carried only for transport flights, which of course, could be what your aircraft is about to do.

Geo

Yes, I saw that which saddened me but then I thought I would hang them both as at some point they would have had to discover that slinging both seriously degraded aircraft performance.

This kite is so ugly she's pretty but she sure does not look too menacing so to toughen her image I will hang both fish.

Cheers,

Jeff

Here is the first photo update of the build. I have finished assembling and painting the torpedos. I added a smidgen of colour mainly because I like it but I also wanted the torpedos to stand out a bit more as I am afraid they will get "lost" once hung underneath the airframe. Historically it may not be spot on but I have explained why I did it.

The props have been painted as well as have their spinners.

I have the first engine almost complete and am waiting for painted parts to dry before I finish it up.

Things are progressing and being on vacation this upcoming week should hopefully allow for continued progress.

IMG_0013.JPG

IMG_0017.JPG

Cheers,

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back