1/48 Me262B-1a/U1 "Red 8" - The Jet Age. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
Username: Crimea River
First name: Andy
Category: Judge – Non competing
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Dragon
Model Type: Me262B-1a/U1
Aftermarket addons: Gotta toss the vinyl tires and use something else.

boxart.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This model will represent Red 8, WNr 110305, one of the few Me262 nightfighters to serve with 10/NJG 11 in the last few days of the war. Red 8 survived the war and is now displayed at the South African National Museum of Military History. This aircraft underwent a detailed analysis of the actual camouflage scheme before being repainted for display. The details can be found here: Me262B Night Fighter Camouflage

I picked up the old Dragon kit some time ago and had it lined up for the upcoming Night War GB but, having seen John (JKim) start his, I got the itch to start mine as well, though it is from a different manufacturer.

Here are some sprue shots of the kit that I will start shortly. The quality of the moldings is good with no sink marks. The wings have fine recessed panel lines but, unfortunately, none of the control surfaces are separate. This is especially a disadvantage for the leading edge slats which were always deployed when the aircraft was parked. The rudder, however, is separate and features the wider trim tab that was present on these planes.

15061901.jpg

Detail is good as can be seen by the bulkhead and wheel hubs.

15061902.jpg

15061903.jpg

Though cannons are provided on this detail sprue, they will not be seen as no open gun bay doors are provided.

15061904.jpg

The fuselage, like the wings, has fine recessed panel lines, though these would have been puttied and smoothed on the actual aircarft. I may end up filing all these in. The only option for the cannon arrangement is for the two-gun setup, though Red 8 appeared to have all 4 MK108s present.

15061905.jpg
15061906.jpg

3 smaller sprues contain the engine nacelles, fuel tanks, and additional cockpit details

15061907.jpg

The instrument panel is well detailed. It will need to be since no instrument decals are provided.

15061908.jpg

A bonus is that the kit includes some added PE parts which include various levers for the cockpit, details for the wheel wells and an attempt to represent the fine radar antennae which will not be convincing enough to my eye. I won't be using these but will replace these with fine brass rod. A second PE fret contains painted seat belts.

15061909.jpg

The biggest downside of this kit are the silly vinyl tires. Though I've not used these before, reviews that I have read recommend that these be chucked out and replaced with some after market ones. I must admit that they don't look too bad to me and might scrub up nicely with a realistic paint job. However, word has it that they deteriorate over time so I may need to hunt for a set of replacements.

15061910.jpg

That's it for now. See you at the bench.

Last edited:
Very cool Andy! Interested to see how the kit builds up compared to the Hobby Boss. No spare main tires but I do have a extra set of nose wheels that I could send to you...

IMG_8669_zpsll7dwpra.jpg

Thanks everyone. Started with the cockpit this weekend. Pretty basic with just a few PE bits around the throttle levers. The kit-supplied rudder pedals are a bit odd in that the heal rest and engraved lightening holed are on opposite faces of the pedal. I elected to have the heal rest side show and will paint add the lightening holes with a black pen. Another issue was that the rudder pedals were too far forward if installed in the locating hole so I glued them further aft. The pilot's seat frame had some lightening holes drilled as well.

15062101.jpg
15062102.jpg

After this basic assembly, I painted the whole area with my mix of Tamiya colours to produce RLM66.

15062104.jpg
15062105.jpg

I also started on the wheel wells to keep life interesting. Nice details here by Dragon with a combination of plastic and PE to be assembled to form an intricate frame.

15062103.jpg
15062106.jpg
15062107.jpg

That's it for now. Thanks for looking in.

Ooh... I like the PE details in the wheel wells. The cockpit looks very similar to the HB kit, in terms of design and level of detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back