**** DONE: 1/48 B-25C 41-12971 345th BG 499th BS "Dirty Dora" , Heavy Hitters GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi

Made a start on Dora. Wow this AM kit is full of parts, I can say that! I don't know how much of the interior is going to be seen after close up as the nose is painted. Anyway I just laid down an under coat of dark brown for the zinc chromate areas and dark green for the cockpit, painted a few of the "black boxes" plus start on a few other bits and pieces. Over- painted with zinc chromate areas with Tamiya yellow-green but I have not done the cockpit areas yet with Dark Drab Green.

Marvelous detail on the parts and very subtle in some places. Fit of some parts including the fuselage halves will mean a bit of finessing to get everything in place. Instructions produced by AM are a feature. One real beef thus far is the instrument panel. Apparently there should be two alternate decals to represent the instruments, but a look on the sheet reveals empty places where the decals should have been printed. Must have been missed in the printing process I guess.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• interior 001 - resized.jpg
    interior 001 - resized.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 137
Man that looks nice! Really fancy that kit for a RAF Mitchell II.
I don't know if the instructions called for the yellowish toned Zinc Chromate, but B25's were normally Interior Green and Bronze Green internally; in the Aviation Photos section, I posted some pic, some time ago I'll admit, of a B25C interior, still in original surface finish.
BTW, I might have a spare instrument panel decal. If I have, do you want it? Let me know and I'll have a hunt.

Thanks guys - 1 month to go, so this ones in turbo mode.

Hi Terry - yes the instructions call for zinc chromate. I expect that there were more than a couple of factories churning these things out so some variation is possible. What I understood for this model was either natural ali or ZC for everything behind the cockpit. I'll do some more hunting.

For the panel I'll get by I think with a new technique I read about. Stayed tuned 8)

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• B25-mitchell-assembly - resized.jpg
    B25-mitchell-assembly - resized.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 118
From Camouflage Markings: Interior Colours of US Aircraft, 1941-45 (Part II)

"B-25 remained in production throughout the entire war, so there have been a lot of variations.

Based on the Erection Maintenance instructions for B-25C, early B-25 models B, C and D had Bronze Green crew cabin. Instrument and other panels were black. Some photos show crew seats in unpainted aluminium with drab seat cushions.

Zinc Chromate Yellow was used other fuselage interiors, including its entire rear part.

Opinions vary concerning the finish of cockpit floors and crew walkways. Some say it was Yellow Zinc Chromate, others unpainted aluminium, others Green Zinc Chromate".

That site has much more info on other parts of ot he B-25 and otehr aircraft as well - quite informative.

From Camouflage Markings: Interior Colours of US Aircraft, 1941-45 (Part II)

"B-25 remained in production throughout the entire war, so there have been a lot of variations.

Based on the Erection Maintenance instructions for B-25C, early B-25 models B, C and D had Bronze Green crew cabin. Instrument and other panels were black. Some photos show crew seats in unpainted aluminium with drab seat cushions.

Zinc Chromate Yellow was used other fuselage interiors, including its entire rear part.

Opinions vary concerning the finish of cockpit floors and crew walkways. Some say it was Yellow Zinc Chromate, others unpainted aluminium, others Green Zinc Chromate".

That site has much more info on other parts of ot he B-25 and otehr aircraft as well - quite informative.

Well that saved me CR! Cheers :lol::lol::lol:

Lookin good so far Pete and the foto was so good it looks like it was taken yesterday.Pete you need to if possible (the old goat gives up nothing) ask Wayne how he got that canopy to look like real plex in one of those shots:shock: Who Dat!!Cheers Kevin

Lookin good so far Pete and the foto was so good it looks like it was taken yesterday.Pete you need to if possible (the old goat gives up nothing) ask Wayne how he got that canopy to look like real plex in one of those shots:shock: Who Dat!!Cheers Kevin

Kevin you are so right!

Wayne maaaate! You've been dobbed in and inquiring minds want to know. :lol::lol::lol: Cough up - how did you do it?

(do you think that will work?)

Cheers

Peter

Interesting about the E&M manual statements. The (early) B25C interior I photographed, and all other interior shots I've seen of B25's, have shown the Bronze Green and Interior Green throughout. Some of the Interior Green areas, such as the bomb bay, were in fact Zinc Chromate, in the 'true' green form, which is, more or less, the same colour anyway - it's just the surface finish and texture which look different, due to the aluminium powder in the mix - it's not as 'smooth' as I.G.
Far as I know, there was only one plant, Inglewood, producing the B25, but I'd need to double check on that.
The change from green ZC in crew occupied areas was made, to I.G. by North American as it was thought to be better on the eye, causing less strain. Being built at the same plant as the P51, it makes sense that the same surface coatings were used.
But, if the E&M manual states it, and the instructions call for it (probably based on the E&M and/or IPMS Stockholm!!), then I won't argue!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back