**** DONE: 1/48 P-38J Lightning 44-23675 "Les Vin, Les Femmes, et Les Chansons" (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Had a look through all my refs, and at my Academy P38, and can't see the strake. I noticed in the pic Karl posted, that 'your' kite is configured for bombs and, AFAIK, the tanks/bombs were probably not interchangeable on the same pylon arrangement. In previous reserach, I discovered that, although later J's had the pylons factory fitted, they weren't neccessarily plumbed in, although the gun camera was fitted.

Had a look through all my refs, and at my Academy P38, and can't see the strake. I noticed in the pic Karl posted, that 'your' kite is configured for bombs and, AFAIK, the tanks/bombs were probably not interchangeable on the same pylon arrangement. In previous reserach, I discovered that, although later J's had the pylons factory fitted, they weren't neccessarily plumbed in, although the gun camera was fitted.

Interesting, thanks Terry. The bomb looks to be mounted on a rack mount on the bottom of the pylon and not directly to it. The camera was moved to the wing pylon because the vibration from the guns affected the shots. Doh! Originally it was in the nose, just below the cannon! Les Vin still has the opening in the nose as well as the pylon window.

Les Vin also had the "Dive Flaps" fitted and I'll need to add this feature as well.

Cheers

Peter

Got to ask about those kills - 4 germans and 1 "?" . Whats all that about?

Models looking good.

Good trick with the hot water Pete, I'm glad it worked for you.

:hotsun: :hotsun:

Not as glad as me Vic, thanks!

Another update today. Time to get stuck into the dive flaps.

Pic 1 Two pieces of plastic card cut to size. I used a scale drawing of the P-38L to obtain the measurements and then transferred these to the card in pencil.

Pic 2 I cut off pieces to get the outline right.

Pic 3 I scribed lines across to represent the hinges. Technically being "piano" type hinges they should be raised, but I'll do that when I build my Tamiya 1/32 Lightning.:twisted:

Pic 4 Dive flaps attached. Easier than I thought using extra thin Tamiya cement.

Pic 5 Okay it's starting to look a bit rough I know, but that will come good. The front window framing I've covered with interior green to show through on the inside. I used silver for the rear canopy. I have elected to close up the canopy. Most leave it open because of the "tricky" five piece canopy, but mine worked out fine. Everything fit very well.

I also filled up the outer wing fuel caps and sanded them smooth.

Pic 6 First coat of primer for a real good look see. A little more work and some panel lines and rivets to replace, but overall very close.

Pic 7 Another view. I have previously opened out all the vent and scoop holes to make them more realistic. They tend to look very thick if left and spoil the look.

Attachments

• speed flaps 001a - resized.jpg
    speed flaps 001a - resized.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 131
  • speed flaps 001 - resized.jpg
    speed flaps 001 - resized.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 151
  • speed flaps 002 - resized.jpg
    speed flaps 002 - resized.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 139
  • speed flaps 003 - resized.jpg
    speed flaps 003 - resized.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 133
  • primer 001a - resized.jpg
    primer 001a - resized.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 121
  • primer 001 - resized.jpg
    primer 001 - resized.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 128
  • primer 002 - resized.jpg
    primer 002 - resized.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Thanks Karl and Flexibull

Got to ask about those kills - 4 germans and 1 "?" . Whats all that about?

Models looking good.

Major Sabo's confirmed kills total 1.333. He did however claim several more, and the question mark may indicate this difference. It's an interesting point, Confirmed vs Claimed. Does anybody know what the fighter pilot's etiquette is in this respect. Do they display claimed or confirmed? I've heard stories of crew chiefs painting them on as the plane rolls to a stop. Maybe that question is worth a thread all by itself!:rolleyes:

Cheers

Peter

looking good peter!

Looking like a Lightning Peter, good job mate. Far as I know, only confirmed, or 'allowed' kills were displayed, both in the RAF and USAAF. There has been some confusion with Luftwaffe aircraft, where mission tallys have been mistaken for kill markings.

Cheers and thanks CR, Dwight, Harrison, Wayne, Terry , Bruce and Vic.

Todays update is very short (sorry) but I at least got the shiny stuff on, which is Model Master 'Aluminium Plate'.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• shiny 001 - resized.jpg
    shiny 001 - resized.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 144
  • shiny 002 - resized.jpg
    shiny 002 - resized.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 149

Users who are viewing this thread

Back