**** DONE: 1/48 P-38J Lightning 44-23675 "Les Vin, Les Femmes, et Les Chansons" (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ozhawk40

Master Sergeant
Username: Ozhawk40
First name: Peter
Category: Intermediate
Scale: 1:48
Manufacturer: Hasegawa
Model Type: Lockheed P-38J Lightning "44-23675"
Details: 370th Fighter Group 485th Fighter Squadron "Les Vin, Les Femmes, et Les Chansons"
Aircraft Assignment: Major Paul J Sabo
Accessories:True Details Cockpit, True Details Resin Wheels, Master brass gun barrels and Eduard Masks
Decals: Hasegawa​

This is my entry into the D-Day/ Invasion Strips Group Build. I picked up this gem recently, but it's a Hasegawa limited edition boxing to celebrate the 60th Anniversary of D-Day and was marked as the "D-Day Invader".

Markings provided in the box are for "Les Vin, Les Femmes, et Les Chansons", which is French for.. Wine, Women and Song. A good combination. Got to admire a pilot that gets all three in his aircraft nose art!

The pilot, Captain and later Major Paul Sabo became the squadron leader of the 485th Fighter Squadron and had already served a tour with another P-38 Squadron.

To assist in research I stuck my neck and credit card out and purchased a Schiffer Book "The 370th Fighter Group in WWII" by Jay Jones. A magnificent book as it turns out, full of interesting stories and detail. I can't wait to get started soon.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• Start 002 - resized.jpg
    Start 002 - resized.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 667
  • box art 02 - resized.jpg
    box art 02 - resized.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 745
  • Start 003 - resized.jpg
    Start 003 - resized.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 522
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice one Peter! That's 9th Air Force isn't it?
Good link there Buck. I didn't have any problem with boom alignment, or fit, on the Academy P38 (lovely kit!), but maybe I was just lucky!

Thanks guys.

Yes the 370th FG was part of the 9th Air Force. Usually assigned to ground targets, they were pulled to provide "around the clock" fighter cover to the invasion fleet.

Thanks for the link Bucksnort, whilst I have the Hasegawa kit, this part of assembly requires some care - and I also have the Academy in the stash (to be RAAF Photo Reece in time :lol:)

Cheers

Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back