Thread: George Preddy's P-51D 'Cripes A'Mighty 3rd'

Post Thanks / Like

George Preddy's P-51D 'Cripes A'Mighty 3rd'

Name: Harrison
    Username: B-17engineer
    Scale: 1/48
    Category: 3
    Manufacturer: ARII
    Extras: Eagle Cal decal sheet and scratch built seat belt, AND PARTS FROM REVELL'S kit... GEAR DOORS, DROP TANKS, AND GEAR

So here is my first out of two entries.... Cripes A'Mighty 3rd flow by George Preddy.

Here is some info from P-51D Mustang - Preddy

Preddy's second P-51 serial no. 44-13321 was one of the first bubbletop Ds delivered to the 352nd FG and carried the name "CRIPES A'MIGHTY 3rd". 44-13321 is one of the most recognisable P-51s of the war as it was photographed at several publicity photo sessions of Preddy with his groundcrew staged after his famous six 109 kills in one day on 6th August 1944.

Colour paintings and black & white photos of 44-13321 suggest the colour of the nose to be a light shade of medium blue, (much lighter than the standard dark blue worn by most of the "Blue-Nose" Mustangs of the 352nd FG in late 1944/early 1945). The light shade of medium blue appears to have been applied to several other well-known P-51s of the 352nd FG, eg. Heller's camouflaged B appropriately named "HELL-ER-BUST (REF. D decal option 3).

Wing and fuselage wrap-around invasion stripes (three white and two black) were typical of the recognition stripes carried by most Allied aircraft operating over Europe during and after the D-Day landings. According to Three Guys Replica, the upper surface stripes and black horizontal tail stripe were removed shortly before 18 July 1944 (REF. H decal option B details the altered markings).

The "CRIPES A'MIGHTY 3rd" name-art on the port nose was rendered in a rather unusual two tone method. On the blue part of the nose the name is in white block letters shadowed in black (or red). As the name spills over onto the unpainted natural-metal it is reversed, ie. black block letters shadowed in white (could also have had red outline).

The style of kill markings applied were white Balkan crosses, these were strung along the port engine cowling on top of the blue background colour of the nose. The final appearance of "CRIPES A'MIGHTY 3rd" on 7 August 1944 displayed 31 kills (21 crosses on top and 10 crosses below). Other documented scores appearing on "CRIPES A'MIGHTY 3rd" were on 19 July 1944 - 21 kills, 24 July 1944 - 23 kills, and 4 August - 24 kills (21 crosses on top and 3 crosses below) (REF. A pg 191).

Some sources claim several USAAF aces chose to carry only four of the six machine guns in their P-51Ds, electing to remove the two inner wing mounted guns. The photo of 44-13321 on page 75 of Osprey's "Mustang Aces Of the Eighth Air Force" (REF. B) clearly shows the port inner port wing machine gun to be empty, however this could have been part of routine maintenance procedures.

A total of 18.5 aerial and 9 ground victories were tallied in 44-13321, including 4 by Col. John Meyer on 10 September 1944. More aerial victories were scored by pilots flying this aircraft than in any other Mustang serving in WWII.

The Kit and Decal sheet.....
    Last edited by B-17engineer; 02-28-2010 at 08:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I made the belts. I think for an attempt they look good.

They are yet to be painted and what now but, ah well.

And painted the seat Olive Drab, headrest black, and head armor dark grey.

Post Thanks / Like
    pictures please?

DBII
    "We got our own ammunition. It's filled with paint. When we fire it, it makes pretty pictures. It scares the hell out of people. We got a loudspeaker.
    When we go into battle, we play music very loud. It kind of... calms us down."

Post Thanks / Like
    Not now. Tomorrow. Older brother has friends over and they are hogging the basement (PC I USE to upload pics)

Post Thanks / Like
    Wonderful info on Cripes a Mighty 3rd in Eagle Cals book. Here.

"Sgt. Sam Perry painted the nose of "Cripes A'Mighty 3rd.", as he did or most of the 487th FS aircraft, the name was painted white and red, with a very think black outline. Figure 8 and 9 clearly indicate that the colors reversed as the name came across the demarcation line between the blue nose an aluminum finish. On July 19th 1944, the men between at Bodney awaited the arrival of Secretary of War Henry Stinson. He was to be joined by Generals Spaatz, Doolittle, and Kepner for a planned full day visit. Figure 11 shows one of the photos taken that day. It reveals that "Cripes A'Mighty 3rd" had begun to undergo a major transformation. The aircraft now depicted 21 victory claims as identified by the number of white crosses applied in a single row. The rectangular 32 hole breather plate fitted to the engine cowling had now been replaced with a solid panel. This feature would have been added in early July as portion of the standard breather plate is visible in Figure 9 where 17 victory markings are visible. Under the aircraft name the ground crew names had been added. They would have read "

Cheif S/Sgt. Lew Lunn
    ASST Cpl. Red McVay
    Arm Sgt. M.G. Kuhaneck

Sam Perry would add the name Major George E. Preddy to the canopy rail. The Script lettering was painted red with a blue outline. The reason the names were added is unknown, however it could be assumed that this was done for the visiting dignitaries.

Other changes are also evident , as the aircraft data stencil has been modified. It appears as two distinct sections and sits higher on the side. The reason for this is unknown, however it could be explained that the original stencil was damaged due to polishing on the fuselage. As dictated by a Field Order issued on July 4th, the invasion stripes have been removed from the upper surfaces of the wings and fuselage. The fuselage invasion stripes now terminate at the base of the bar used on the national insignia. A portion of the step here data stencil, visible at the wing root below the letter "O" , was painted over by the invasion stripes.

PART II will come later when I can post pics and what not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds good H. Looks like you don't the need the stuff I was going to send about the seat harness then. Sorry, I got interupted when my old mates turned up and dragged me out!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I could use it. It really doesn't have much about the inside.

Post Thanks / Like
    Some bits and pieces.... need to do some touch ups... but yeah..

and all my reference shots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -102_6335.jpg   -102_6336.jpg  

-102_6337.jpg   -102_6338.jpg  

-102_6339.jpg   -102_6340.jpg  

-102_6341.jpg   -102_6342.jpg  

-102_6343.jpg   -102_6344.jpg  

-102_6345.jpg   -102_6346.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Good stuff H, and the cockpit is looking good so far. But why is he fuel tank blue? it should be very dark grey (black). If they are the side consoles in the pic, they shoul be Inteior green. Hold up on the cockpit for now, and I'll post some pics etc, with the drawings for the seat belts, hopefully tomorrow (Sunday) late afternoon or evening, UK time. (about early afternoon your time).

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't paint anything blue. I painted the floor wood. That was it. I will over paint it with other colors when I get to sit down and read the Squadron Walkaround. I also made these. In the Walkaround they should these half way down the armor and they ran diagonal and thought I would add them. They are black or so the photos say. Of course they need to be sanded and what not
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -102_6347.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah, I see - must be the colour of the bare plastic, showing blue due to the lighting or flash!
    Those parts look like the seat mountings H, good job. Far as I know, they should be the same colour as the rest - Interior Green, or possibly the colour of the seat itself, Olive Drab or Medium Green.

Post Thanks / Like
    Alright! Thanks T!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by B-17engineer View Post
    Name: Harrison
    Username: B-17engineer
    Scale: 1/48
    Category: 3
    Manufacturer: Revell
    Extras: Eagle Cal decal sheet and scratch built seat belt.

So here is my first out of two entries.... Cripes A'Mighty 3rd flow by George Preddy.

Here is some info from P-51D Mustang - Preddy

Preddy's second P-51 serial no. 44-13321 was one of the first bubbletop Ds delivered to the 352nd FG and carried the name "CRIPES A'MIGHTY 3rd". 44-13321 is one of the most recognisable P-51s of the war as it was photographed at several publicity photo sessions of Preddy with his groundcrew staged after his famous six 109 kills in one day on 6th August 1944.

Colour paintings and black & white photos of 44-13321 suggest the colour of the nose to be a light shade of medium blue, (much lighter than the standard dark blue worn by most of the "Blue-Nose" Mustangs of the 352nd FG in late 1944/early 1945). The light shade of medium blue appears to have been applied to several other well-known P-51s of the 352nd FG, eg. Heller's camouflaged B appropriately named "HELL-ER-BUST (REF. D decal option 3).

Wing and fuselage wrap-around invasion stripes (three white and two black) were typical of the recognition stripes carried by most Allied aircraft operating over Europe during and after the D-Day landings. According to Three Guys Replica, the upper surface stripes and black horizontal tail stripe were removed shortly before 18 July 1944 (REF. H decal option B details the altered markings).

The "CRIPES A'MIGHTY 3rd" name-art on the port nose was rendered in a rather unusual two tone method. On the blue part of the nose the name is in white block letters shadowed in black (or red). As the name spills over onto the unpainted natural-metal it is reversed, ie. black block letters shadowed in white (could also have had red outline).

The style of kill markings applied were white Balkan crosses, these were strung along the port engine cowling on top of the blue background colour of the nose. The final appearance of "CRIPES A'MIGHTY 3rd" on 7 August 1944 displayed 31 kills (21 crosses on top and 10 crosses below). Other documented scores appearing on "CRIPES A'MIGHTY 3rd" were on 19 July 1944 - 21 kills, 24 July 1944 - 23 kills, and 4 August - 24 kills (21 crosses on top and 3 crosses below) (REF. A pg 191).

Some sources claim several USAAF aces chose to carry only four of the six machine guns in their P-51Ds, electing to remove the two inner wing mounted guns. The photo of 44-13321 on page 75 of Osprey's "Mustang Aces Of the Eighth Air Force" (REF. B) clearly shows the port inner port wing machine gun to be empty, however this could have been part of routine maintenance procedures.

A total of 18.5 aerial and 9 ground victories were tallied in 44-13321, including 4 by Col. John Meyer on 10 September 1944. More aerial victories were scored by pilots flying this aircraft than in any other Mustang serving in WWII.

The Kit and Decal sheet.....
    44-13321 is a P-51D-5 so to be accurate you have to remove the 'strake' on the vertical stabilizer.

The Hasegawa kit of Kinnard's Man O War, QP-A is a P-51D-10, the first production D with the strake added at the factory.

Curiously 44-14293 (Kinnard's QPA) was the next P-51D in the NAA production line as my father's Jane II WRB 44-14292

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! I think I have a picture above of the tail. I will use the way Terry described to remove the strake !

Post Thanks / Like
    option 2 - his Cripes V was P-51D 44-14906 which he scored some kills with on 2 and 21 November. It would still have a 'half fuselage stripe" in early November but none on upper wing... and have the strake as it was a P51D-10

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a bit of dry fitting.. cept the seat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -102_6356.jpg  

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast