George Preddy's P-51D 'Cripes A'Mighty 3rd' (3 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ok. Seatbelts I went over them in grey again.... then will do the buckles.

Pic 2: Dry fit cockpit. Still need to add gunsight.

Attachments

• 102_6366.JPG
    102_6366.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 90
  • 102_6368.JPG
    102_6368.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 115
Good work H, the belts look just fine mate. One thing, the fuselage fuel tank should really be very dark grey, or black, with the rack frame for the radio in aluminium (silver).

Thanks Andy! I repainted the buckles today so it doesn't look THAT sloppy :D

I like to thank Terry though for the awesome diagram, and instructions :D

That's a great result H, especially as a first attempt. Once you've done it a few times, it gets easier, and better, just like Jan walking back from the pub!

Sealed up the fuselage today....

If I do say myself, this kit is one of the nicest kit fittings so far! Just wonderful!

Also,

I found the matching colors for this plane.......... The nose will be Tamiya TS-44 Brilliant Blue (sprayed) and TS-17 Gloss Aluminum (Sprayed)

PART II

The lowered port flaps also shows that the red step marking is visible. Fuel full points are indicated with the use of red caps on the fuselage side and upper wings. The flare port, visible below the canopy as a circular opening on the fuselage side, shows evidence of discoloration around it.

Figure 12 shows that the aircraft now has 23 victory markings on the nose. This would date the photos to a period between sometime July 21, 1944 and July 28, 1944. This assumption is made based on the fact that Preddy claimed a Bf-109 on July 29, that would see 23 crosses on the nose of his P-51.

Examination of the Figure 12 also reveals that the staff of the aircraft letter "P" has been lengthened. The black type ID band has also been removed from the rudder and upper surfaces of the horizontal tail. The band on the lower horizontal surfaces remained intact. The drop tanks were seen with unique artwork applied by the ground crew.

Figure 13 shows the face painted on the left drop tank. The colors are believed to be white and red. McVay and Kuhaneck also added their names. The right side drop tank also carried artwork see in figure 14. Unfortunately, no information is known about the appearance of the right sides of the drop tanks.

Cripes A'Mighty 3rd would ultimately display 31 white outline German crosses on its nose. In Part, this was due to the conflict on August 6th when Preddy would destroy 6 Bf-109's in one mission. That number reflected the 26 air and 5 ground kills that he claimed.

Figure 15 shows heavy exhaust staining on the fuselage covering the upper portion of the data stencil. Minor leaks are visible from the spinner. Otherwise, all other markings remained intact.

No discussion about George Preddy and his P-51 can be complete without mentioning his ground crew. Sgt. M.G. Kuhaneck would be commended for maintaining the vital firepower of this P-51. Preddy would never encounter a jammed weapon in combat. Under the supervision of S/Sgt. Lew Lunn and Cpl. J.J "red" McVay, Preddy never aborted a mission due to mechanical failure. Without their skills, it is arguable that Preddy would have never achieved his impressive results.

END.

Figure 12 = 5th pic down on page 3
Figure 13 = 10th pic down on page 3 (drop tanks)
Figure 14= 10th pic on page 3
Figure 15= 11th pic down on page 3

Moving forward.....

Sealed the fuselage today. Just used superglue and no tape whatsoever. 5 minutes when it was dry I just sanded any overflow etc.

Thanks for looking!

Oh yes and did the exhausts too.

Attachments

• 102_6381.JPG
    102_6381.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 120
  • 102_6383.JPG
    102_6383.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 117
  • 102_6384.JPG
    102_6384.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 93
  • 102_6385.JPG
    102_6385.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 130
Looking good Harrison. Watch that rear wheel. Tendency to break off with all that handling to go. Also, there should be a slot where the rear canopy has a runner just aft of the opening on the top center of the fuselage. You didn't fill it did you? If that Revell kit is the old Monogram one see below pic for what I mean.

IMG_1077.jpg

Ah ha!

There is only a tiny opening at the end... the kit was fitted to not have that. But there is a TINY opening like that over where the end of the canopy should be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back