George Preddy's P-51D 'Cripes A'Mighty 3rd' (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Okay... so 'Wood' colored floors, olive drab seat, black head armor..... brown headrest? All the rest IG.

Then as far as seatbelts.... how do I make buckles and my measurements?

Thanks for all your help!

Last edited:
I normally measure my belts 'by eye' H, using the thicker foil, as I think I've mentioned before. But, if you want to set a measurement, the webbing straps were approximately 2 inches wide, or 50mm, so, in 1/48th scale, they'd be roughly 1mm wide (a smidgin over), which is close enough. You can either paint on the buckles (the shoulder adjusters), or add a square of more foil and paint accordingly. For the fasterners, it's tricky to explain without showing a pic or drawing (I'll post some tomorrow), but basically you'd cut the foil at the end of the belt to the shape of the fastener and bend to shape. The P51 harness, like most U.S. aircraft of the period, used what's known as a 'lever latch' fastener or 'buckle', which was a simple locking device. I'll see if I can find one in all the cr*p in my house and photograph it. If not, I'll draw a pic and find a photo showing at least part of one somewhere.

I somewhat understand T! Thanks! I have some foil from a wine bottle so I'm good for that. What if I cut a square with one bar across the middle and weave the belt through that way?

If you can do that, even better. Most harnesses were like present day racing car harnesses (it's where they got the idea from!), with the shoulder straps being a short length up to the adjuster,often as a 'Y' shaped affair with a 'tail' strap, and the remainder a separate, longer strap running up through the adjuster buckle, looping back, and leaving a free end. The tighter the harness was pulled, obviously the longer the 'free' end would be. It was similar on the lap strap, although often only one side would have the adjuster, with the opposite strap being fixed length, with the main part of the locking latch on the end, over a wider, padded piece.
I'll try to show all this with the drawings etc tomorrow.

Thanks Vic and Dan! Was hoping to do work later today.. but, my workbench had to be moved so the builders can work in the crawl space...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I made the belts. I think for an attempt they look good.

They are yet to be painted and what now but, ah well.

And painted the seat Olive Drab, headrest black, and head armor dark grey.

Wonderful info on Cripes a Mighty 3rd in Eagle Cals book. Here.

"Sgt. Sam Perry painted the nose of "Cripes A'Mighty 3rd.", as he did or most of the 487th FS aircraft, the name was painted white and red, with a very think black outline. Figure 8 and 9 clearly indicate that the colors reversed as the name came across the demarcation line between the blue nose an aluminum finish. On July 19th 1944, the men between at Bodney awaited the arrival of Secretary of War Henry Stinson. He was to be joined by Generals Spaatz, Doolittle, and Kepner for a planned full day visit. Figure 11 shows one of the photos taken that day. It reveals that "Cripes A'Mighty 3rd" had begun to undergo a major transformation. The aircraft now depicted 21 victory claims as identified by the number of white crosses applied in a single row. The rectangular 32 hole breather plate fitted to the engine cowling had now been replaced with a solid panel. This feature would have been added in early July as portion of the standard breather plate is visible in Figure 9 where 17 victory markings are visible. Under the aircraft name the ground crew names had been added. They would have read "

Cheif S/Sgt. Lew Lunn
ASST Cpl. Red McVay
Arm Sgt. M.G. Kuhaneck

Sam Perry would add the name Major George E. Preddy to the canopy rail. The Script lettering was painted red with a blue outline. The reason the names were added is unknown, however it could be assumed that this was done for the visiting dignitaries.

Other changes are also evident , as the aircraft data stencil has been modified. It appears as two distinct sections and sits higher on the side. The reason for this is unknown, however it could be explained that the original stencil was damaged due to polishing on the fuselage. As dictated by a Field Order issued on July 4th, the invasion stripes have been removed from the upper surfaces of the wings and fuselage. The fuselage invasion stripes now terminate at the base of the bar used on the national insignia. A portion of the step here data stencil, visible at the wing root below the letter "O" , was painted over by the invasion stripes.

PART II will come later when I can post pics and what not.

Sounds good H. Looks like you don't the need the stuff I was going to send about the seat harness then. Sorry, I got interupted when my old mates turned up and dragged me out!!

Some bits and pieces.... need to do some touch ups... but yeah..

and all my reference shots.

Attachments

• 102_6335.JPG
    102_6335.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 476
  • 102_6336.JPG
    102_6336.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 519
  • 102_6337.JPG
    102_6337.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 610
  • 102_6338.JPG
    102_6338.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 493
  • 102_6339.JPG
    102_6339.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 508
  • 102_6344.JPG
    102_6344.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 457
  • 102_6343.JPG
    102_6343.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 546
  • 102_6342.JPG
    102_6342.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 523
  • 102_6341.JPG
    102_6341.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 582
  • 102_6340.JPG
    102_6340.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 528
  • 102_6345.JPG
    102_6345.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 554
  • 102_6346.JPG
    102_6346.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 540
Good stuff H, and the cockpit is looking good so far. But why is he fuel tank blue? it should be very dark grey (black). If they are the side consoles in the pic, they shoul be Inteior green. Hold up on the cockpit for now, and I'll post some pics etc, with the drawings for the seat belts, hopefully tomorrow (Sunday) late afternoon or evening, UK time. (about early afternoon your time).

I didn't paint anything blue. I painted the floor wood. That was it. I will over paint it with other colors when I get to sit down and read the Squadron Walkaround. I also made these. In the Walkaround they should these half way down the armor and they ran diagonal and thought I would add them. They are black or so the photos say. Of course they need to be sanded and what not

Attachments

• 102_6347.JPG
    102_6347.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 446
Ah, I see - must be the colour of the bare plastic, showing blue due to the lighting or flash!
Those parts look like the seat mountings H, good job. Far as I know, they should be the same colour as the rest - Interior Green, or possibly the colour of the seat itself, Olive Drab or Medium Green.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back