George Preddy's P-51D 'Cripes A'Mighty 3rd' (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Name: Harrison
Username: B-17engineer
Scale: 1/48
Category: 3
Manufacturer: Revell
Extras: Eagle Cal decal sheet and scratch built seat belt.

So here is my first out of two entries.... Cripes A'Mighty 3rd flow by George Preddy.

Here is some info from P-51D Mustang - Preddy

Preddy's second P-51 serial no. 44-13321 was one of the first bubbletop Ds delivered to the 352nd FG and carried the name "CRIPES A'MIGHTY 3rd". 44-13321 is one of the most recognisable P-51s of the war as it was photographed at several publicity photo sessions of Preddy with his groundcrew staged after his famous six 109 kills in one day on 6th August 1944.

Colour paintings and black white photos of 44-13321 suggest the colour of the nose to be a light shade of medium blue, (much lighter than the standard dark blue worn by most of the "Blue-Nose" Mustangs of the 352nd FG in late 1944/early 1945). The light shade of medium blue appears to have been applied to several other well-known P-51s of the 352nd FG, eg. Heller's camouflaged B appropriately named "HELL-ER-BUST (REF. D decal option 3).

Wing and fuselage wrap-around invasion stripes (three white and two black) were typical of the recognition stripes carried by most Allied aircraft operating over Europe during and after the D-Day landings. According to Three Guys Replica, the upper surface stripes and black horizontal tail stripe were removed shortly before 18 July 1944 (REF. H decal option B details the altered markings).

The "CRIPES A'MIGHTY 3rd" name-art on the port nose was rendered in a rather unusual two tone method. On the blue part of the nose the name is in white block letters shadowed in black (or red). As the name spills over onto the unpainted natural-metal it is reversed, ie. black block letters shadowed in white (could also have had red outline).

The style of kill markings applied were white Balkan crosses, these were strung along the port engine cowling on top of the blue background colour of the nose. The final appearance of "CRIPES A'MIGHTY 3rd" on 7 August 1944 displayed 31 kills (21 crosses on top and 10 crosses below). Other documented scores appearing on "CRIPES A'MIGHTY 3rd" were on 19 July 1944 - 21 kills, 24 July 1944 - 23 kills, and 4 August - 24 kills (21 crosses on top and 3 crosses below) (REF. A pg 191).

Some sources claim several USAAF aces chose to carry only four of the six machine guns in their P-51Ds, electing to remove the two inner wing mounted guns. The photo of 44-13321 on page 75 of Osprey's "Mustang Aces Of the Eighth Air Force" (REF. B) clearly shows the port inner port wing machine gun to be empty, however this could have been part of routine maintenance procedures.

A total of 18.5 aerial and 9 ground victories were tallied in 44-13321, including 4 by Col. John Meyer on 10 September 1944. More aerial victories were scored by pilots flying this aircraft than in any other Mustang serving in WWII.

The Kit and Decal sheet.....

44-13321 is a P-51D-5 so to be accurate you have to remove the 'strake' on the vertical stabilizer.

The Hasegawa kit of Kinnard's Man O War, QP-A is a P-51D-10, the first production D with the strake added at the factory.

Curiously 44-14293 (Kinnard's QPA) was the next P-51D in the NAA production line as my father's Jane II WRB 44-14292

option 2 - his Cripes V was P-51D 44-14906 which he scored some kills with on 2 and 21 November. It would still have a 'half fuselage stripe" in early November but none on upper wing... and have the strake as it was a P51D-10

Just a bit of dry fitting.. cept the seat.

Attachments

• 102_6356.JPG
    102_6356.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 259
Here you go H. Sorry the sketches are a bit rough - I couldn't find the pics of the harness itself, or find the actual lever-latch I have stashed away somewhere. But hopefully you'll get the idea.
Use the lead foil from the necks of wine bottles, or the thick foil from some packaging, such as some pain killer tablets etc. Kitchen foil is a bit too thin really, although if folded over and over, can sort of work to an extent. The sketches are not to scale, so you'll have to measure, or adjust by eye, to get the desired length of each strap. It's always better to cut them longer than needed, cutting the shape of the buckles at one end, then they can be trimmed to suit once you've sorted the length etc. Always glue the 'hidden' end first, that is, those behind and under the seat.
For the fastening buckles on the shoulder harness, once cut to shape, using a sharp scalpel, try to cut the slot into the buckle and, once draped into place, bend the vertical part of the buckle out, to give the correct shape. Don't expect to get it right first time - it takes a bit of practice, and even then it can still take a couple of attempts to make and fit the belts.
The B&W cockpit pics I have seem to have hidden themselves somewhere, and are refusing to reply to my gentle calls of where the %$£% are you! But here's a colour rendition which should do the job, taken from Osprey's 'P51 Vs FW190' book.

Attachments

• Buys 130.jpg
    Buys 130.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 129
  • Buys 131.jpg
    Buys 131.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 123
  • Buys 132.jpg
    Buys 132.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 130
  • FW  P51 COCKPITS 001.jpg
    FW P51 COCKPITS 001.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 121
You're welcome H. Just keep this for reference, and it won't be long before you can make more than passable seat harnesses. If I can (almost) do it with my knackered hands, I'm sure you can!

Will try again tomorrow. Too little light and time. I just wanted to get the hang of it.

Here are all the parts on a first attempt. Trial and error baby, trial and error....

Will do it tomorrow.

Attachments

• 102_6364.JPG
    102_6364.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 118

Users who are viewing this thread

Back