Category 2 Intermediate
    Model: F-111 F
    Scale: 1:72
    Manufacturer: Hasegawa
    Aftermarket add ons:
    - DP Caspar Decals - Operation El Dorado Canyon
    - Verlinden Upgrade set (resin seats)
    - Eduard PE set
    - Hasegawa Weapons set IV (for the ALQ-131 ECM pod- center fuselage aft station)
    - Hasegawa Weapons set VI (for the 4 GBU-10E Paveway IIs - wing pylons stations 3/6 and 4/5 - Note: The kit instructions has them mislabeled.)

Camo Scheme: As seen on the decals sheets:
    - upper surfaces: dark green / green / brown (sand) - basically the SEA scheme;
    ------ Dark Green: FS34079 TAC Dark Green
    ------ Green: FS34102 TAC Green
    ------ Brown/sand: FS30219 TAC Tan
    - underside surface and nose - flat black;
    - cockpit: dark gull gray, FS 36231 (mixed with white for scale effect)
    - wheel bays, gear and engine intakes - white;
    - exposed internal portion of flaps - flat red
    - GBU-10Es; main body is an Mk 84 - olive drab with yellow stripe - all but about the last 1/2" of the Mk 84 warhead's 3" yellow band is hidden by the guidance section's adapter collar; gas canister brown FS30117

The General Dynamics F-111 "Aardvark" or "Vark" is a medium-range interdictor and tactical strike aircraft that also fills the roles of strategic bomber, reconnaissance, and electronic warfare in its various versions. Developed in the 1960s and first entering service in 1967, the United States Air Force (USAF) variants were officially retired by 1998.

Although conceived as a multi-role fighter, the F-111 became a long-range attack aircraft primarily armed with air-to-surface ordnance, including a nuclear strike capability.

The F-111F was the final F-111 variant produced for Tactical Air Command, with a modern, but less expensive Mark IIB avionics system. The USAF approved development of the variant in 1969. It also included the more powerful TF30-P-100 engine and strengthened wing carry through box. A total of 106 were produced between 1970 and 1976.

In the early 1980s, the F-111F began to be equipped with the AVQ-26 Pave Tack forward looking infrared (FLIR) and laser designator system. Pave Tack system provided for the delivery of precision laser-guided munitions and mounted in the internal weapons bay. The Pacer Strike avionics update program replaced analog equipment with new digital equipment and multi-function displays

The F-111 F is probably best known for it's role in Operation El Dorado Canyon (otherwise known as the Raid on Libya) in April of 1986. Details on the Operation to follow.

Before I do a core dump on the Operation El Dorado Canyon, I need to get a definitive ruling on whether this qualifies for the Cold War GB or not. The particular markings I am using would have been in use back in the '70's and the "Vark" was definitely designed for a long range attack role, including tactical nukes, against WarPac. The only thing that might work against it is the timing of the particular operation and equipment employed during that op (the weapon load of GBU-10s and the Pave Tack pod are definitely late additions in the broad time frame). If this won't qualify, I'll find a suitable replacement.
    Last edited by kgambit; 07-30-2010 at 03:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Brooks Wolters View Post
    Dwight, I apologize for dropping the ball on the landing gear. I'm sorry. Looks like you found some really good material though and this is looking the part sir. Keep up the EXCELLENT work!!! Again, I apologize.
    No problem Aaron! I managed to get the F-111 Detail and Scale by Bert Kinsey, the Verlinden Lock On #5 and the Squadron F-111 In Action. Those three plus the F-111.net website and a couple of great walkarounds have me covered on the research end.

Senior Member Aaron Brooks Wolters's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good deal. I still should not have forgotten though, makes me angry at myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Work in progress: Finishing the main instrument panel. This still needs another pass of grey wash to get a couple of areas that didn't set but it's close.

Pic 1: Bare metal PE

Pic 2: Nearly finished version. To get to this point, I sprayed the PE with Tamiya Semi Gloss Black (diluted 50/50) at 15 psi. Let it dry overnight, then coated it with Future (diluted 20% with ISO 91%). Let that dry and then started applying Pro Modellor light gray wash. Let the first coat dry then used a wet brush to carefully remove the wash leaving the highlights only. It needs to be sealed first. Then it gets mated with a colored paper underlay provided with the PE set andboth pieces are attached to the sanded down kit instrument panel.

Pic 3: Just for grins, I decided to do the F111 D version instrument panel as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_f111f_v1a-jpg   -img_f111f_v3-jpg  

-img_f111d_v3-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Great Dwight!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice. That's going to look the biz when all together.

Post Thanks / Like
    Neat!

Jan "Felicis Tredecim"
    "Im going back to the front to relax"
    "THE BLACK CATS FLIES TONIGHT"
    "Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant!"
    "When you're out of F-8's... You're out of fighters!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool

Regards,
    Dirk

Post Thanks / Like
    Well done!

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good Dwight.

At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, we will remember them.
    Lest We Forget

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know if this was said in this thread already, but a vendor for the company I work for was in the USAF in England during El Dorado Canyon and he told me that the F-111 that was shot down was not supposed to go "in" and drop it's bombs, but the crew pleaded that they came this far and they wanted to. Sad if true, but can you blame them?
    The entrance to the cockpit of this aircraft is most difficult. It should have been made impossible. Flight Journal magazine, April 2000, regards the XF10F-1, Grumman's first attempt at a swing wing fighter.
    EDIT: I have been informed by REDCOAT that the same "quote was first used by a test pilot for the British, Blackburn B-26 Botha ( a very unloved aircraft) in 1938" - Thanks amigo!

"Death doesn't ask..."

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Found this pic among some magazines Dwight, original source unknown. It's over a bombing-range in Spain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -jan-357-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Airframes View Post
    Found this pic among some magazines Dwight, original source unknown. It's over a bombing-range in Spain.
    Thanks for the pic Terry!

And here's the latest:

Pics 1 & 2: The finished cockpit tub with seats in place and controls added. Everything glued together.

Pics 3 & 4: Front portion of cockpit with additional control panel and HUD display. The main instrument panel sits under this and just behind that small control panel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_0788v2-jpg   -img_0797v2-jpg  

-img_0798v2-jpg   -img_0799v2-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Nicely done!

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice Dwight!

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast