F-111F, 48th TFW, Lakenheath, Operation El Dorado Canyon, 1986 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nice! This is really timely as I have been reading the book El Dorado Canyon. It makes it real interesting for me as I can read about what was going on behind the scenes as we prepared for the operation.

I'll have to see if I can pick up that book. Author?

:)

Now I just have to get back to the bench and finish the kit! :lol: Added an extra 5 foot long 35$ folding table from Walmart to the work room. My small table was just not cutting it - too crowded.

It was written by Joseph Stanik.

51FB3V13HSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Amazon.com: El Dorado Canyon: Reagan's Undeclared War With Qaddafi (9781557509833): Joseph T. Stanik: Books: Reviews, Prices more

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
That brings back memories, we was at Lakenheath from 83-86, my dad was with the 492 TFS. He was crewchief on the 111. We was in Germany by march of 86. If we would have been at lakenheath for three more years my dad would have been involved with Operation Eldorado Cannon, we missed it by two months. I loved growing as a kid around the F-111. I have the Afterburner decal sheet fort the F-111 , I plan on building several F-111's from Lakeneath and Upper Heyford .

Cheers Brian(F-104nut)

Last edited:
I was stationed there from 85-88 and was with the 1979th ISS, which is now the 48th Comm Squadron. I looked at a recent map and google earth views of Lakenheath and it really looked different. The old "Z barracks" are gone and they changed the road near the commissary. Your dad would probably know my face if he was around when they put the BISS systems in the TAB-Vs. I don't remember when they went in, but I remember adjusting or fixing them in every one of those TAB-Vs at some point. I used to be able to tell which section of the base the TAB-V was on by the number (red, yellow, blue or green). Aside from green section being the 495th, I don't remember which squadrons were which color anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back