F-111F, 48th TFW, Lakenheath, Operation El Dorado Canyon, 1986 (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'll try and find the pics Dwight, but I have a feeling they were among those lost, as I haven't seen that batch for some time. I'll keep looking though.
That second pic you posted made me laugh! It looks like the guy in front has been 'speared' by the F111, two blokes under the wing are playing ice hockey, and a small fella hanging off the end of the wing!!
I've probably got some more cokpit shots if you need them BTW.

The little guy on the right is probably screaming "GUYS! WAIT! This isn't what I meant when I said I wanted to fly!"

Dwight, you're a man after my own heart. I was at Lakenheath in the Vark days. I' looking forward to seeing this one.

Hopefully I can do it justice. :) Thinking about doing some highlighting on the panel lines and some washes to accent the landing gear bays.

I've got all of the aftermarket stuff in hand EXCEPT the Eduard PE and the aftermarket decals. Just got Hasegawa weapon set VI and the Verlinden resin upgrade set today. :)

Was going to do a 1/48 F/A-18A from USS Coral Sea and this operation.....got decals to do VFA-131, VFA-132, VMFA-314 and VMFA-323, but decided for the No. 111 E/E Lightning instead. Looking forward to this indeed!

Working on a bunch of small stuff including the ordnance and the cockpit tub. Research shots of the GBU-10Es to follow. A huge thanks to Jim Rotramel (mrvark at ARC) for some much needed info on the ordnance color schemes.

Attachments

• 000-GBU-10-B-1A.jpg
    000-GBU-10-B-1A.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 102
  • GBU-10-Demo-S.jpg
    GBU-10-Demo-S.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 119
  • GBU-10-Cutaway-S.jpg
    GBU-10-Cutaway-S.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Don't know where the original reply went to! But it only read "That's one mean-looking dirt mover"!

And a rather LARGE one at that!!:lol: Looking forward to this build Kgambit. This has always been one of my favorite aircraft. I have a book with a lot of info and some shots of the craft that may be of help if you need them just let me know and I'll do what I can. Some of the shots are a little fuzzy but we can try.:)

Last edited:
And a rather LARGE one at that!!:lol: Looking forward to this build Kgambit. This has always been one of my favorite aircraft. I have a book with a lot of info and some shots of the craft that may be of help if you need them just let me know and I'll do what I can. Some of the shots are a little fuzzy but we can try.:)

Thanks Aaron. :) :lol: Yeah those GBU-10Es are big bad boys. I've found a ton of Gulf War movie footage showing the GBUs impacting targets but haven't been able to download them yet (size restrictions).

I have copies of the "Verlinden Lock On #5", Bert Kinzey's "F-111 Aardvark Detail and Scale", and the Squadron F-111 in Action book. There's two excellent photo series by Jim Rotramel at Hyperscale and on F111.net that have a ton of great shots. Yet despite all of that I am still looking for more shots of the landing gear bays. If you have anything on those, it would be much appreciated.

The book that I have is titled The Great Book of Modern Warplanes and covers ten craft and is 648 pages. The book is extremely technical. The photos are not always top notch but the diagrams and info are unreal. It has diagrams of the cockpit, the engines, the entire aircraft, the A, D, and F instrument panels, and ordinance loads. Bill Gunston authored this craft in the book and also did the Harrier.Looking now for landing gear shots.

This is all that I have so far. It's just the front gear. Hope it helps. If you would like the full size shot PM me your E-mail address and I will get it to you. I wish I could scan it but the book is too large.
IMG_8217 resized 25.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back