F-111F, 48th TFW, Lakenheath, Operation El Dorado Canyon, 1986 (3 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys. :)

Here's another quick update before I get back to the workbench.

Two pics of some more of the interior detail. Starting on the left and going clockwise, are the following:

1) Main wheel bay (dry fitted only) including the hydraulic arm for the forward portion of the main bay door which doubles as a speed break. Need to figure out exactly why that gap is still there - suspect that the inner brace is flush against the side panels. Details painted in a mix of dirt brown, flat black, flat red, silver and steel. Second pic shows this looking from front to back. The gap at the back will be totally hidden by the Main gear assembly.

2) Main gear assembly - wheels are only dry fitted, but everything else is glued into place. Second pic shows this at a slightly different angle. ( Man I hope this thing can hold the weight of the plane! :lol: )

3) Forward wheel Bay - finished except for the next two parts which go AFTER the bay is glued in.

4a) Forward landing gear - wheels are dry fit only at this stage but everything else is glued into place except for one piece which goes in after this in place. Getting those lights on was a REAL pain in the you know what. Wish they would pop a bit more. Second shot at a slightly different angle.

4b) Forward bay door actuator arms - single piece - ready to go

5) Composited main instrument panel - needs a drop or two of Future to highlight the colored dials.

6) Rear portion of main wheel bay door - nothing special to see here, but I'm trying to keep everything in one place.

That's it for now. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0803v2.JPG
    IMG_0803v2.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0806v2.JPG
    IMG_0806v2.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 105
Looking good, Dwight. The one that I had built for me had to have some weight added in the nose if displaying with the wings swept. Otherwise it sat on it's tail.

Looking good, Dwight. The one that I had built for me had to have some weight added in the nose if displaying with the wings swept. Otherwise it sat on it's tail.

Swept forward or swept back? I could understand the weight with the wings swept back as that moves a weight back behind the wheels. Have to see if the instructions say anything about that.

Well now maybe I know why they left that panel on the top of the front fuselage. :lol:

Sorry, I meant swept back. I built an EF-111 Raven a few years ago and ended up using some coins to weight the nose.

WHEW! Had me going there for a minute. I just checked out the weight load and it probably will be okay with the wings swept forward. With the wings in that position, the entire wing including all the ordnance and pylons will sit in front of the main wheel. But before I close up that front panel, I'll check it out. Thanks for the heads up. Last thing I wanted was to have this turn into a tail sitter.

:)

Edit: I may still drop a little weight in the nose just to play it safe. :)

Very nice work Dwight. This is going to turn out to be a beaut methinks !
Rule one with any tricycle-gear model - always add weight regardless ! Rather have it, and not need it, than have a tail sitter. It's too late once its all buttoned up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back