F-111F, 48th TFW, Lakenheath, Operation El Dorado Canyon, 1986 (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I don't know if this was said in this thread already, but a vendor for the company I work for was in the USAF in England during El Dorado Canyon and he told me that the F-111 that was shot down was not supposed to go "in" and drop it's bombs, but the crew pleaded that they came this far and they wanted to. Sad if true, but can you blame them?

Found this pic among some magazines Dwight, original source unknown. It's over a bombing-range in Spain.

Attachments

• Can Jan 357.jpg
    Can Jan 357.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 342
Thanks everyone. :)

Found this pic among some magazines Dwight, original source unknown. It's over a bombing-range in Spain.

Thanks for the pic Terry!

And here's the latest:

Pics 1 2: The finished cockpit tub with seats in place and controls added. Everything glued together.

Pics 3 4: Front portion of cockpit with additional control panel and HUD display. The main instrument panel sits under this and just behind that small control panel.

Attachments

• IMG_0788v2.JPG
    IMG_0788v2.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_0797v2.JPG
    IMG_0797v2.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_0798v2.JPG
    IMG_0798v2.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0799v2.JPG
    IMG_0799v2.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 174
You are putting some amazing detail into this one, Dwight! It's looking fantastic!

I don't know if this was said in this thread already, but a vendor for the company I work for was in the USAF in England during El Dorado Canyon and he told me that the F-111 that was shot down was not supposed to go "in" and drop it's bombs, but the crew pleaded that they came this far and they wanted to. Sad if true, but can you blame them?

Great war story, but just a story. Complete radio silence was done from take-off until the time that all aircraft were back over the gulf of Sitre and on the way home. All aircraft that took off had an assigned target and spares that took off initially were back about 30 minutes after departure.

Thanks Terry, Andy, Vic, Evan, Wayne, Jan, Harrison, David and Glenn. :)

Did a quick test fit of the wings and fuselage sections last night just to make sure everything was fitting fine.
Will have to do some minor clean up work to do on the fuselage joins and the starboard access port for the wing needs some trimming as well which is really surprising for a Hasegawa kit.

Here's a quick shot of things taped together, I needed to see something resembling an actual plane out of all the bits lying about. This was just a quick fix. :lol:

Attachments

• IMG_0801v1.JPG
    IMG_0801v1.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 102
Thanks Wayne. :)

Don't worry about that nasty gap between the forward and aft fuselage sections - that's just caused by the tape over the front of the rear section. Those two sections join up VERY well.

After scrutinizing the fit, I might have to add some shims inside the lower rear fuselage section. For some reason, Hasegawa provided absolutely NO alignment pins for the upper and lower pieces of that section. The two halves tend to be a bit loose on the dry fit. A couple of carefully cut pieces of scrap plasti-card might be just the ticket. Otherwise the alignment on everything is fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back