Polish Sqdn BoB Hurricane (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

rochie

Staff
Mod
have ordered this decal sheet for my Hurricane BoB subject, would prefere to do Hawker Hurricane Mk I, UZ-V V7118, 306 Sqn RAF (Polish), but need help finding out what it looked like earlier in 1940.

thanks in advance guys

Karl

Attachments

• 48025-02.jpg
    48025-02.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 337
Karl I have gone through a few references and didn't find anything about the early camo scheme of the Hurricane. All pictures I have seen show tha Hurricane with the Sky band of fuselage. I think the plane might have been painted with the camo scheme only. If she wasn't it would be pattern without the Sky band and the black left wing.Possible the spinner could have been black painted.

Last edited:
The Squadron was formed on 28 August, becoming operational on 8 September, whilst still at Church Fenton (13 Group). I don't have any info about their involvement in the BoB at all, the only Polish squadrons being operational in the Battle itself being 302 and 303. The Squadron became properly operational after their move to Northolt in April 1941.
However, before November 27 the colour scheme would have been overall Sky undrsides, no fuselage band, and a black spinner.

Terry , according to my info the squadron was ready operationally on 7th November 1940 when was moved to the Tern Hill airfield.

Attachments

• Hurricane_ MkI_306Sqn_1940.jpg
    Hurricane_ MkI_306Sqn_1940.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 271
  • Hurricane MkI UZ_V  306 Sqdn_1.jpg
    Hurricane MkI UZ_V 306 Sqdn_1.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 314
  • Hurricane MkI UZ_V  306 Sqdn_2.jpg
    Hurricane MkI UZ_V 306 Sqdn_2.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 311
  • Hurricane MkI UZ_V  306 Sqdn Ternhill 1940.jpg
    Hurricane MkI UZ_V 306 Sqdn Ternhill 1940.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:
You are quite correct Wojtek. The Squadron was declared operational on 8 Septemebr, and moved to Tern Hill, in November, after the official end of the Battle. The Squadron is not included in the listings of Squadrons which took part in the Battle, and remained in Yorkshire until the move to Shropshire, for the defence of the the north west and Wales, and convoy duties off the west coast.

Oh...So I have understood you wrongly.Now it sounds correct. Undoubtedly the squadron didn't participated in BoB in the way the 302 and 303 one did. I have told Karl about it.And it might be the reason for the lack of pictures with their Hurricanes of the early camo scheme in.

the plane flying in pic 3 is it a hurricane? Doesn't look right although it may just be the angle of the pic

Thanks guy's i'll go with RF-F as thats included on the decal sheet, just thought UZ-V looked more interesting but never mind i'll do another Hurricane as UZ-V later

I've found a profile of the unit in the earlier scheme when you need it Karl.
Bernhart, the aircraft seen landing is a Miles Mater, advanced trainer.

On 21 August 1940 Col Iwaszkiewicz, Deputy Inspector General of the PAF, issued an order to F/Lt(Cpt) Tadeusz Rolski to begin organizing a fighter squadron - the third one in Britain at the RAF Polish Depot in Blackpool. The squadron became No. 306 (Polish) Fighter Squadron and under the relevant RAF order of 28 August was formed at Church Fenton, within No.l3 Group. The unit was assigned the code letters UZ. Its personnel were mainly drawn from officers and men of the former 4th (Toruń) and 3rd (Poznań) Air Regiments and
the Squadron adopted the name No. 306 Dywizjon Mysliwśki Toruński ("Toruń" Fighter Squadron). The "Wild Duck" emblem of the Toruń III/4 Fighter Dyon on the diamond background of the 3rd Regiment's insignia formed its badge (not officially authorized by the RAF) which also carried at the top the Warwick Bear and Staff of No. 605 Squadron, whose former C.O., S/Ldr Scott, became the British commander of No:306. S/Ldr (Mjr) Jerzy
Orzechowski was earmarked to take over the Polish command from Rolski at a later date.

On 2 September Rolski, who became the Acting S/Ldr,was instructed to proceed with the selected personnel to the RAF Station Church Fenton near Tadcaster (Yorks), but because of the dispersal of Polish airmen in various camps, he was able to muster only 12 pilots - out of the 25 assigned him and 109 ground personnel. They rnoved to Church Fenton on 4th September. Six more Polish pilots arrived on the 19th and the remaining seven and the rest of the ground crew on the 24th. The pilots commenced flights on the dual-control Fairey Battle and Miles Master I (serial N8007) trainers on 10 September and during the following ten days received eight Hurricanes and one Hurricane airframe for familiarization training. On 19th September the Polish flag was officially hoisted and the Squadron's Hurricanes went on parade, proudly displaying the PAF chessboard markings and "Wild Duck" badges on the fuselage. Despite language difficulties and the small number of aircraft available, 15 pilots converted to Hurricanes by the end of September. The Squadron was due to move to another airfield and one of its Flights to become operational early in October, but this order wasrevoked, presumably because of decreased German activity in the final phase of the Battle of Britain. Towards the end of October the Polish command of the Squadron was thrown into some confusion. S/Ldr (Mjr) Orzechowski arrived from Blackpool to take over the command on 23 October from Rolski, who reverted to F/Lt. After three days at Church Fenton, Orzechowski returned to Blackpool and Rolski remained the senior Polish officer on the station. Orzechowski came back to Church Fenton on 1 November but was finally recalled on the 14th of that month and Rolski became the Polish Commander of No.306 again. Beginning with 28 October 1940, a section of Hurricanes was put at "readiness" every day before sunset. By 1 November 22 ofthe 26 pilots had completed training on the Hurricanes these figures excluding S/Ldr (Mjr) Orzechowski - and six pilots began night-flying training. The Squadron had on strength 11 Hurricanes, including one damaged in a wheels-up landing accident by Sgt (Cpr) Waskiewicz and one without an engine. Most of the Hurricanes were of the early production series (L and P serials) and required frequent repairs. On average only three to four aircraft were serviceable. On 2 November the squadron was ordered to move to Ternhill and its forward party left for the new airfield the following day. Bad weather delayed the aircraft and its eight Hurricanes, one Battle and one Master did not reach Ternhill until the 7th. The next day No. 306 Squadron was declared operational.

A couple of earlier 306 photos.

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 200
  • scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 254
Oops, a slight typo, otherwise known as a c*ck up ! Yes, that should have read 'Miles Master'. In fact, as it's got the Rolls Royce Kestrel engine, it should have read Miles Master Mk1A.
Thanks Andy !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back