Done : Fw190D-9, "Black 12" of Leutnant Teo Nibel of 10/JG54, Gruppe Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
For the Group Build, Unternehmen Flugbrucke, I'll be 'throwing in', but not competing, with a FW190D-9, from the Tamiya 1/48th scale kit. I'm not 100% sure yet which scheme it will be finished in, as I'm still researching this. One possibility is JG26, for which I have a couple of pics, and the other strong possibilities are a machine from JG2, as per one of the profiles below, or maybe Barkhorn's machine, as shown, IF I can hand-paint the name under the cockpit sill! Any views/opinions/info on the schemes will be appreciated.
As we've got 4 months, I might have time, in between preparing the next part of the Diorama Guide, and finishing the Photography Guide, to throw in a Bf109 also.
Profiles courtesy of 'JG2 Richtofen', J. Weal, Osprey, and 'Battle over the Reich', Dr. A. Price, Ian Allan (Classic).

Attachments

• Group Build 064.jpg
    Group Build 064.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 466
  • Group Build 065.jpg
    Group Build 065.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 491
  • Jan stuff 006.jpg
    Jan stuff 006.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 485
The yellow 11 was painted with RLM 76/75/83 colours.Late cockpit conopy.According to profile in Modelmania publication no.7 the camo in your profile is incorrect.Concerning the last profile, it seems that the Dora should have had the Red-White-Red band of JG6 like in a profile found in Kagaro book Fw190 volum.IV. Also the yellow sign near the cross looks incorrect.

maybe if we all wait for J. Manhro/A.Urbankes book on JG 6 then finally Barkhorns Dora markings can be put to rest........

Terry you have EE's Dora volume book yet ? if you want to do one of about 8 different Doras from JG 2 that would be my suggestion anyway.

Erich,do you know accidentally when it can be?

Thanks Wojtek and Erich. I haven't yet got that book Erich; believe it or not, it is only relatively recently that I've seriously studied this period of the Luftwaffe history. Previously, my interest was with the period 1940 to late 1944.
Wojtek, I had doubts as to the colour scheme of 'Yellow 11', as the artist has used some strange colours to represent the greys. Even the earlier period FW190A's shown in this publication, which are in 74/75/76 finish, look like they are in the darker scheme of 'Yellow 11'!!
The yellow outlined triangle in the profile is clearly visible in a close-up shot of Barkhorn in the cockpit of this Dora, BTW.
Because of the doubts about all of these schemes, I will very possibly do the model as a JG26 machine. But, time will tell!
Thanks again for your help.
Terry.

Back to Barkhorn's machine.This stencil was not a triangle but it was of "V" or "W" shapes and was for MW injection tank marking.Here you are the pic I think you told about.In addition some proifiles quite old but the stencil is visible.

In addition I found another profile of the Yellow 11.

Attachments

• Barkho_.jpg
    Barkho_.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 406
  • Barkho.JPG
    Barkho.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 369
  • Barkho1.jpg
    Barkho1.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 381
  • yellow11.jpg
    yellow11.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 396
I'm not 100% sure yet which scheme it will be finished in, as I'm still researching this. One possibility is JG26, for which I have a couple of pics, and the other strong possibilities are a machine from JG2, as per one of the profiles below, or maybe Barkhorn's machine, as shown, IF I can hand-paint the name under the cockpit sill! Any views/opinions/info on the schemes will be appreciated.

If you want to save time I can provide 'Christl' as a decal.....if this becomes your preference....will give you some further inspiration also....:D

Thanks Wojtek, that's clarified a lot!
Decisions, decisions! Still not sure what to go for! Quite fancy Barkhorn's, although the doubt concerning the Reichs Defence band is irritating, and not sure about the upper wing colour.
Looks like JG2 is already being done, but still a possibility, and as for JG26, I've only got a couple of small, blurred pics, that are totally inconclusive as to the colours!
Think it might be Barkhorn's, so I'll let you know Wayne if I need to take you up on your kind offer.
Thanks guys, time to get back to the research, and the writing, and the diorama building, and the photography, and the house cleaning and the...oh B*****ks to it!

It's an idea Erich, and thank you. But, my knowledge of, and references for, the Eastern Front is equal to that of trying to understand how a woman's brain works!
I have a feeling it'll be Barkhorn's crate, with or without the RD band!
Wayne!!!
EDIT; Jan, I have to do SOME housework, so that I can find my modelling equipment and references, under all the piles of stuff (modelling/aircraft related) that have accumulated around my workspace/lounge during the last couple of months. And I've still got to finish a painting yet!

Thanks again, Erich. I'll start looking into all this, and any info/pics etc will be appreciated. I've got four months, so no particluar rush.
Terry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back