Done : Major Tratt's Me410A-1/U2/R4: Gruppe Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Njaco

The Pop-Tart Whisperer
Feb 19, 2007
Southern New Jersey
For the Group Build, my project will be the Me 410 B-1/U2/R4 of Major Eduard Tratt, Gruppenkommanduer of II./ZG 26 during February 1944 and the highest scoring Zerstorer experte of the war. I love the look of the 410 and Major Tratt accomplishments in this and his earlier Bf 110 are something I admire.

Aces of the Luftwaffe - Eduard Tratt

I plan on starting build after the New Year, after some research. There are some questions that have arisen in the short time I've decided to do this.

1. Was Tratt flying this machine or an earlier Me 410A known as "Blue 1" when he was killed?

2. Did his machine have the ZG code "3U" applied or was there the black chevrons instead?

3. Was the special Gruppe emblem even on the cowlings and if so were they yellow or white?

4. And in what group of markings went with the white band on the fuselage or was it naked? In other words, if it was "Blue 1" was the band there or was it with the chevrons?

Hopefully some of the members here can help with the questions. I'm also going to be checking with this site for parts fits, etc., because I'm no Wayno and my hands shake from all those years of.....well, that for another time. :)
Messerschmitt Me-410B-1/U2 "Hornisse" Revell-Monogram 1/48 Pro-Modeler

Thanks everybody for your help!

Boy, this is gonna be fun!!!!

Attachments

• tratt.jpg
    tratt.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 333
  • reich07.jpg
    reich07.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 313
KIA in action in Me 410A-1 3U + Blue 1, werk nummer 420410

it does not seem right to me that the A/C would be an A-1 from this one German source doc. But from the official losses listing of ZG 26 it states :

II./ZG Gruppenkommandeur - Me 410A-1

no Chevrons, yes a white fuselage band would be applied.

Also covering the losses the B-1 and B-2 seem not have been in the unit till late April of 44...........weird eh ?

Yes most definately confusing. So the decals for this kit are all wrong. Need to find a blue 1 numeral somewhere. And make sure I can model a "A" from a "B". I think the difference was a change in engines. Can thsi be done to this kit, do you know?

simplest bet is to get a copy of the soft-bound book on the Me 410 Hornisse by squadron-signal. some great pics and drawings, the profiles are always questionable but for the monies a good deal.

Chris, I've got a 'Blue 15' decal in the Tamiya 1/48th Dora I've just bought. I won't be using it for the model, but I may want the '5' part at a later date;
You're welcome to the '1' parts of the decal! PM an address and I'll send it to you.
Terry.

G'day Chris!

From 'German Aircraft Interiors 1939-1945 Vol.1' by Kenneth A. Merrick:

'Messerschmitt Me 410 A-1/U-2

Appearing in January 1943, the Me 410A-1, powered by two Daimler-Benz DB 603 A engines, was a direct development of the Me 210A-1 which it closely resembled apart from the engines...

... Classified as a Zerstörer, or heavy fighter, the Me 410 A-1/U-2 retained the Me 210 A-1 armament which included two forward-firing MG 17 machine guns with 1,000 rpg, plus two MG 151/20 cannon, each with 350 rpg. But, in addition to these weapons, the special modification known as U2 (Umrüst-bausätze /Modification construction set 2) could be fitted within the internal bomb bay. This installation was comprised of two cylindrical containers, each with a 20 mm MG 151/20 cannon containing 250 rpg. Forward-firing weapons were fired with the aid of a standard Revi C 12D gunsight. Rear-firing weapons consisted of the two FDSL 131B remotely-controlled side-mounted gun turrets each fitted with one 13 mm machine gun with 500 rpg. These were aimed and fired with the aid of a Revi 16A gunsight.'

Hope that's of some use. Found this too, which might be of interest:

Messerschmitt Me 410B by Emanuele Pravata (Revell 1/48)

Good luck with the project mate!

Evan

Thanks guys! I think I've got the decals worked out - just found a blue 13 that I can seperate the '1' from. But here is my main dilema; Searching through pics from books and the net I have found about 4 different way markings were applied for II./ZG 26 during 1944. Which would be the closest? Any ideas?

Attachments

• tratt410.jpg
    tratt410.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 358
I still don't know what the 'ell I'm doing but what the hey! I just getting embarassed already at having to post pics of my progress. No "Military Modeller" here! :)

Erich, I just realized I have that Me 410 book by squadron that you mentioned.

In the book I quoted before, there is a starboard side photo of Me 410 A-1/U-2 W.nr 420430, PD-VO, 3U-CC, preserved in Britain. I don't know if it's accurately marked, but, from tail to nose, it has a white theatre band round the rear fueslage, followed by a 'standard' black/white Balkenkreuz, with the letters CC between that and the FDSL turret.

Might have to send a P51 to Jersey for a straffing run :p.I tried to find that kit after I did the FineMolds 1/72 version nobody had it should build up nice Njaco.

Njaco hopeful you will not get confused at all the oddball retarded markings on the Me 410A and B

I've got to do more hunting but think your top profile is correct for the left side but reversed on the right side.........like I said pretty strange

pretty strange just isn't the word...words.

The only pic I've found of a II./ZG 26 machine with a numeral is much like the last profile and I was about to go with that one but...who the hell knows!!!! :) This is a poor profile, colorwise but it is almost exactly like the pic I found. And another thing: Just read where the spinners might have been dark green with whire spiral - not black. But that may have been a I./ZG 26 410. I'm starting the cockpit tub on Thurs so I have some time to figure color and decals - if nothing I think I'll go with the only solid pic of a numeral which would be that last profile. As for the color of the Gruppe emblem....?? And I have found quite a few pics which the clog/shoe and all appear yellow. No white to be found so far.

Attachments

• me410-img22.jpg
    me410-img22.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 339
Here is the a pictue I beleive your profile is made from along with another profile of same aircraft.

Attachments

• gjgjgj.JPG
    gjgjgj.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 390
  • ggk.JPG
    ggk.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 406
Yet another of II/ZG 26 with numbers on the side.

Attachments

• kggll.JPG
    kggll.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 239
something tells me this is not a ZG 26 a/c Mic most probably a ZG 76 who used numbers extensively on their B's

I'll be back with a double check later

nice line up pic of # 7 and the others on the previous page. ZG 26 II.gruppe only used numerals instead of the 3U for only a brief time.

something tells me this is not a ZG 26 a/c Mic most probably a ZG 76 who used numbers extensively on their B's

I'll be back with a double check later

nice line up pic of # 7 and the others on the previous page. ZG 26 II.gruppe only used numerals instead of the 3U for only a brief time.

Thanks Eric,

As for the numbers your right. Ive been through several books and have only found one real picture and thats of Yellow 7. Very unusual. Ive also noted alot of differences in green profile of 7 and the real pictures. Make me start thinking of how very wrong that profile is and how people get sucked into beleiveing that its proper in reality its wrong. I know Ive fallen for it many times.

Thanks again and waiting on response to the White 11 profile.
Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back