1/48 CF-18 Hornet, 425 Sq RCAF, Libya 2011 – Carrier Aircraft GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Name: Cory
Category: Intermediate
Kit: Hasegawa
Scale: 1/48
Accessories: Leading Edge Decals "CF-18 Standard Markings / Libya", Wolfpack CF-188A Hornet 'Operation Mobile' Resin Set, Masks

I haven't been around much the past month or so, nor have I really touched much in the way of models. Haven't really been able to get into the Buccaneer or the Tomcat, so they haven't progressed. I've been itching to build another CF-18 for a while now. If anyone remembers the story, a couple years ago I built a model of the Hornet that I got to sit in in 1998. Here's the thread if anyone's interested.

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/st...-sq-canadian-forces-cory-bud-ulmer-22926.html

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/yo...-sq-canadian-forces-cory-bud-ulmer-23526.html

I went looking for an excuse to build another one, and was looking through pictures of the 7 Hornets based in Italy that launched strikes against Libya last year. I discovered that the Hornet I sat in and had my name painted on (739, now part of 425 "Alouettes" since 416 and 441 merged to make 409) was one of them. So how could I not build another? :lol:

So I've ordered the Hasegawa F/A-18A++ kit, as well as this resin set that comes with all the things to make RCAF Hornets up in their current mode, with the extra antennas and newer ejection seats etc.

Wolfpack Design

The decal sheet isn't actually available yet, but it's supposed to come out this month. I've emailed the maker to see if I can get a more exact date. I probably can't start for a couple weeks unfortunately as I have to wait for the kit and detail set to arrive from Spruebrothers.

Here are some photos of it, all taken by the Canadian Forces:

6329654290_81781b306f_z.jpg

6328904743_5e9d07d52c_z.jpg

6329658498_13f60b45ce_z.jpg

Lots of great photos in large sizes in their album here:

RE2011-M089-002 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited by a moderator:
HORNET, HORNET, HORNET. Thanks for building one Cory. Love the Hornet and the RCAF schemes they get bathed in. A buddy of mine flew one in the '80's and said after a while that they were boring and transferred to helos. The day before he left for fighter training, he flew over our booming grounds and bombed us with Macdonalds Cheeseburgers wrapped in cellophane.

Geo

Thanks guys, and not a problem Geo. :lol: I'll be very sad to see them go, that's for sure. Any time they come to Edmonton they always end up flying directly over my house. You can certainly hear them coming! I've also go a friend who's going into flight training soon, he wants into fighters.

The CF-18 has been a great choice for the RCAF - and they've done a magnificent job "stretching" them over the years. I am sooo sick of the politics around the F-35 ..... damnit, I don't know if it's the right choice for Canada or not. I just want our people to have something equally effective as the CF-18 has proven to be. The CF-5 was/is a sweet package but it was the wrong choice for Canada in almost every sense of the word except that it could be licence-built by Canadair in Quebec - hardly the ideal criteria for a major military acquisition is it .... ?

Oh Canada .........

MM

You traded your brother?!!
Heck guys, Cory's into the slave trade - he's swapped his brother for a kit !!
Oh! Hang on, let me read that again. Er ... um ..... ah, I see!

I don't have a brother to trade……………………………………….any suggestions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back