**** DONE: 1/48 A6M3 Q-102 - Carrier Aircraft GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wurger np on the highjacking :) I enjoy a couple Zero pics any day :D I think we all wish for a old warbird or two (or 12) but seriously if I had one, I wouldn't have space to put in anywhere, unless I stoped and gave up modeling altogether :S

Photobucket is back up and I've been able to do a little work on her:

Final pics of the cockpit sides after adding the final details unfortunatley I always get a picture in the batch that looks great on the camera and on the computer its too dark or light, just like this first one, a bit too dark, it resembles the other panel section in color more than it did in this picture.:

RSCN5428.jpg

I decided to go with J.N. Grey instead of metal, it comes out nicer and not as abrasive in the photos as the aluminium colors. The different handles I appied some red and black for the "buttons" on them. Can't really figure out the cockpit colors but a bit of mixing and matching with restored aircraft and museum pieces looks ok.
RSCN5417.jpg

Finally the tub is almost done, I applied 2 decals from a M.202 set I had, but there writen in english and they don't fit that well, so I've ripped them off and I'll just paint it in interior green and leave it be after a bit of weathing to match the sides. On a birghter note, the seatbelt shots from Shinpachi are golden, and I got to finish the seatbelts.

I think its allright and giving how the seatbelts border on a leather/tan in most modelers pictures I decided to do a more "brown leather" style seat belt. A bit worn out from use, but I think it adds to the character of the aircraft :) I made them out of Tamiya masking tape, punched the holes and then colored and re-checked the holes so they arn't covered up by the paint :) did a little "weathering" on them for that old leather effect and bent 2 or 3 of the holes on the top section so you could see its been in use for a while.
RSCN5434.jpg

and last shot for today, close up of the instrument panel after applying a bit of oily wash to make it appear a little less white and a little more old. :D
RSCN5435.jpg

Last edited:
I like that Igor, I tend to feel that on occasions the silver for wear marks is a bit harsh so use a silver or light grey pencil or just light grey or stone coloured dust.

Thanks for the tips Vic and the comment :), I'm trying to figure out something to dull it down, I usually do a wash to wash it down but it never comes out looking just right. Thats why on this one I reduced most of the chiping effect on the silver :) vs what I usually do :O I might try on the next build to mix the silver with a bit of grey or maybe get one of the pencils. Its always a challenge to get that "good look" down

I think the J.N Grey worked better than expected, next time I'll try a flat aluminium and JN grey mix to see how it settles.

Good stuff Igor!

The two port side instruments should be on the upper surface of the console, btw. You should be able to soak them off and reposition them if you haven't gloss varnished them yet.

Looking good Igor. I normally mix a spot of matt white with the silver (or gloss if you want more sheen), as you would not normally see bright metal under paint chipping or wear, unless it was from hits from rounds, when the paint is knocked off and the metal bent and shiny. The white automatically creates a metallic pale grey, just like aluminium alloys.

Nice job on the cockpit!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back