DONE: TBF Avenger from VT-8 - Minicraft 1/144 Group Build (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucke.stz

Senior Airman
Apr 21, 2008
Brazil
www.spruemaster.com
Hi,

Here some pics about my new projet, a TBF Avenger on 1/144

The kit is few simple, with some simple steps it is ready to stand, but I like a lot the Avenger with the wings folded, so I must to make some scratch an build the "little bird" like this,

I use a PE saw to cut away the wings and elevator, on interior I make some resin copies to some cockpit interior.

Here some pics about the kit and the progress.

Thanks to see :D

DSC01239.jpg

DSC01235.jpg

DSC01236.jpg

DSC01237.jpg

The wings and elevator cuted away:

DSC01243.jpg

DSC01244.jpg

DSC01245.jpg

DSC01251.jpg

Here he starts to some scratch on the wing folding mechanism.

DSC01249.jpg

DSC01250.jpg

Great work Lucke. It should be really good with the wings folded, not an easy job in this small scale. Your model is one third the size of mine, and would fit onto one wing of the Italeri 1/48th Avenger!
I'm looking forward to seeing your progress mate.

I'm afraid my fingers would rebel if I tried such a fine scale. Excellent idea!.

Lucke, there's some pics of the wing-fold in my thread, posted by Paul (Micdrow) which should be useful for you.

Sorry Terry, I got side tracked. I left this pictures bigger for better detail. Hope they help.

Attachments

• Scan0002.jpg
    Scan0002.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 293
  • Scan0004.jpg
    Scan0004.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 278
  • Scan0003.jpg
    Scan0003.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 257
Great Paul !!

This help a lot !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D So usefull

Thanks Airframes !

What about the colors ? The Minicraft manual is so bad, dont do any color reference... :(

Hi Lucke,

Maybe Terry or Wojtek would know. Im better at mechanial aspects then I am on colors. :oops:

All the best
Paul

Well guys some little update.

Fuselage, halfs glued and some wing joint detail.

DSC01281Small.jpg

DSC01282Small.jpg

A little wing joint detail too

DSC01283Small.jpg

I did some engine copy, the blue one is from a sweet Wildcat model, so I copy it with odontological resin, I did some work and fit it on engine cowl, it will do a good engine detail.

DSC01286Small.jpg

DSC01287Small.jpg

DSC01288Small.jpg

Here some copy of the pilot seat too, I´m planning to do some interior detail too.

DSC01246.jpg

About the colors I´m going to use Light Gull Gray on undersides (FS36440), and Navy Blue (I dont have the FS). The paints are from Gunze Sangyo numbers 54 for Blue navy and 325 for Gull Gray.

I don´t know if I´ll do a small hangar to it (pressuming it on Handerson Field) or put it on a Carrier Deck from USS Hornet.

I found these Flattopsandmore carrier deck prints (it can be downloaded), and I print it on my laser color printer, the result was really good.

So it is it by now,

Thanks to see :D

Cheers,

I can't help with the camouflage colour Lucas, as US colours for that period and theatre are definitely not my strongpoint! But I can help with the internal colours. The wheel wells, wheels, inside of wheel doors, the landing gear legs and the inside of the wing folds were Insignia White. The aircraft built by Grumman had Bronze Green cockpits, with the internal area to the rear of the gun turret in Interior Green, as was the inside of the bomb bay and bomb bay doors. The inside of the cowling and engine bay was Light Gray.
Those aircraft built by the Eastern Aircraft Division of General Motors (TBM's) had Interior Green finish on all the insides of the cockpits and fuselage, with the bomb bay, bomb bay doors and the engine bay in yellow zinc chromate. The wheel wells etc were as described above.
That's some fantstic work you've done so far in such a small scale, especially on the engine. I would have gone cross-eyed by now, and learned a few new swear words!!
Terry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back