SBD-2 Dauntless "Black B-1" Lt. Richard H. Best VB-6 Uss Enterprise Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Njaco

The Pop-Tart Whisperer
Feb 19, 2007
Southern New Jersey
My entry fro the PTO Group Build will be the SBD-2 Dauntless of Lt. Richard H. Best from the "Black Rams" of VB-6 USS Enterprise during the Battle of Midway. Lt. Best attacked several carriers that day including a direct hit on 'Akagi' but it was his last day as a flyer. During an early mission, his oxygen malfunctioned and he breathed toxic fumes which disabled him later in the day and he was disabled from the war.

Richard Halsey Best, Lieutenant Commander, United States Navy

Air Groups on CV-6 USS Enterprise

The kit will be the 1/48 Accurate Minatures version of the SBD-1 which I will modify into a SBD-2. The most notible modification was the upgrade af defensive guns in the rear and I will scratch build these. This kit was started by my father before he passed away and I want to complete it for him. I hope to do him justice.

It may be afew days before any progress as I am disabled myself and need to relax. But we have till August? Anyway, this will be fun.

Almost forgot: This will be Category 2 unless Dan wins the Reich's Defense then I will go to Cat 1 just to be out of his division and have a chance!!! :)

SDB-2 VB-6 'Black B-1"
Accurate Minatures 1/48
Category 2 build

Attachments

• Picture%20033.jpg
    Picture%20033.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
Looking forward to this one Chris. I believe it is a VERY nice kit. Has your choice got yellow wings, or were they cammed by then? Sorry, my knowledge of the era/theatre is somewhat thin!
Either way, if it's anything like your '410, it should turn out nice.

Everything is a grey-green although the D-1 did have the yellow wings. The only problem - and its small - was that my dad apparently was going to model a SBD-1 because he painted the interior silver, which they were. Didn't go to the green until the -2 model. Buts thats a small problem. He laso had some aftermarket stuff, like the engine but can't figure out the manufacterer. Will work it in.

UPDATE:

Have done absoultely nothing so far. Pain meds are wonderful!!!!! My right arm (were they used it as a pin-cushion) is friggin' hurting so much I can't pick-up a cup of coffeee!! So just sitting around, researching as best I could and being annoying on this forum.

I'm ready, have all the cr@p I need, just need to get past this surgery junk.

Kinda like the last start I had with a Group Build, huh? :)

I know how you feel Chris! Even though I'm now on the new 'wonder drug' for the RA, for some reason, my hands are still very stiff today, and I'm finding that trying to manipulate small model parts is extremely difficult, and bl**dy frustrating! Like you, I'm having an hour or two off, trying to get conclusive research info on the armament of the Avenger II (TBM-1C).
Why is it that research ALWAYS throws up conflicting evidence?!!!
I'm sure you'll do a good job when you get back to it though Chris. For the pain, try a few shots of 'Scottish White Wine'. It might not kill the pain, but you'll be too hazy to notice!!

I know how you feel Chris! Even though I'm now on the new 'wonder drug' for the RA, for some reason, my hands are still very stiff today, and I'm finding that trying to manipulate small model parts is extremely difficult, and bl**dy frustrating! Like you, I'm having an hour or two off, trying to get conclusive research info on the armament of the Avenger II (TBM-1C).
Why is it that research ALWAYS throws up conflicting evidence?!!!
I'm sure you'll do a good job when you get back to it though Chris. For the pain, try a few shots of 'Scottish White Wine'. It might not kill the pain, but you'll be too hazy to notice!!

Hi Terry and Chris,

Its the opposite for me, I love to research and heck with building the models. Just dont have the skill. Ive found a whole list of things that come into play through the years that through things off. In fact Ive found researching for you guys if better then researching for myself. More satisfying to me to know its being used then my stuff which just sits around collecting dust.

Im not the best at it by far but I enjoy it. You need anything just ask and I will try my best and that goes for anyone. Not responsible for mistakes :oops:

Thanks Charles. I'm biting at the bit. Just my middle section ain't doin' so good. And now I can't even talk to the doctor that the hospital said I should see. He's never there, leave a message that he won't return and my boss says there is no light duty and I have to be cleared to return to work!! Looks like a few weeks of this cr@p! TG I have time banked.

Yep, me too Chris. Tell him you'll sue for negligence if he doesn't respond. That should get his ar*e in gear!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back