1/48 Grumman Avenger TBF-1C - Pacific Theatre of Operations II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

VICTORY!!

DSC_0728_zpsjao5zpqe.jpg

Eight books about the Avenger and not one clear shot of the tail wheel interior. I've got scads of other detail shots such as the bomb bay if you need them Jan.

Geo

Part G18 is the flare chutes and mounting brackets, with the flare rack on the bulkhead above.
I can't find the reference photos I used, but they were silver, or bare metal, and can be seen in the photos of my build for the first PTO GB.

Attachments

• PTO Build 065.jpg
    PTO Build 065.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 105
  • PTO Build 066.jpg
    PTO Build 066.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 106
According to the picture these flare chutes could have been of the interior green ( Bronze green ).

avenger_1.jpg

Nice looking turret Jan, glad you got that one sorted and it looks as though you've a couple of options on the tailwheel assembly…………………….decisions………………..decisions…………..

Cheers lads! Appreciated as always....

Last farewell message to USS Yorktown CV-10 from Ford Island's tower when sailing out on that hot sunny Hawaiian morning, 22nd of August 1943 at 08:21:

"You look good out there honey!"

To involve his pilots in the details of the air plan, Jimmy Flatley solicited their ideas from them at squadron meetings. Otherwise, except for daily air patrols of a few planes, the pilots bided their time in the ready room, many endlessly playing acey-deucy, the Navy's version of backgammon.
The ships junior officers, when off duty, played a more dangerous game-poker, at which they were usually clobbered at high stakes by the undisputed champion, Lieutenant (jg) Bernard J. Lally, ship's fire marshall.
"Barney" Lally had come into Navy directly from the New York Fire Department.
The obvious nervousness of the novices over the approaching battle created opportunities for the old salts to have some fun with them.
Chief Warrant Officer John E. Montgomery, an FBI agent in peacetime and now a fireman on the flightdeck, swore George Earnshaw to secrecy and confided to him that Japanese spies had apparently planted bombs somewhere on the ship.
When the old righthander went on watch, Montgomery switched the lightbulbs in Earnshaw's room with flashbulbs.
Then he and his cronies lay in hiding when Big George returned from watch.
As Earnshaw flipped on his light switch, the bulbs went off like bomb flashes. George wheeled to flee, tripped and fell against the thin metal bulkhead, denting it and briefly knocking himself out.
Angrier than h*ll at the obvious culprit, Earnshaw went looking for Montgomery for several days.
But whenever Johnny saw him coming across the flightdeck, he'd call a fire drill and drive Earnshaw back with a fire hose!

Anyhoo....
Trying to figure out how to arm the old bird for the Marcus Island attack...
Seeing that the Marcus Island was of miniscule strategic importance, I'd like to think that the torpedo is out of question, some where loaded with big 2000-pound 'blockbusters', I don't have that, some was having the belly tanks, would they then carry rockets, finally we have either 2 500-pound or 4 250-pound bombs, have to say that I lean towards the 4 250-pounders....

Suggestions...?

Well, after digging around more in my Yorktown book, I found that they loaded Torpedo-5's TBF Avengers with 2000-pounders fused with daisy cutters, plus 500-pounders and clusters of incendiaries, to light up the target during the first bombing run...

As I don't have any incendiaries, two 500-pounders it is!

But it also meant that the Yorktown, after months of pushing by Jocko Clark, would be the first of the new carriers to actually go into battle-"thus beating our rivals, the Essex to a draw", reflected pilot Harrison. "We've accomplished as much in six months as they have in a year and half," the time in which Essex's Air Group Nine had been in commission.

GO YORKTOWN!

DSC_0738_zps8kdp4wun.jpg

Cheers Geo! :thumbright:
True, what I wondered earlier as well, those with belly tank, would they have carried rockets?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back