1/48 P-38J-10 Lightning – Pacific Theatre of Operations II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Vic Balshaw

Major General
Jul 20, 2009
Canberra
Username: Vic Balshaw
First name: Vic
Category: Judge – Non competing
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Eduard 1174

OOB (truly) – As with the Eduard has everything, this one is OOB. The box contains resin detail, paint masks, etched detail and decals. BUT, I have also got a set of the lovely Air Master 20mm cannon for the Lightning.

This is my second entry into this GB, an aircraft that has always intrigued me. The kit provides a number of options including a No 13, but I'm not one to poach on Jan's domain.

My subject is P-38J-10 BuNo 42-67590 flown by Capt Jay Thorpe Robbins, CO 80th FS, 8th FG, Finschhafen, Papua New Guinea, late December 1943. Jay Thorpe Robbins (16th September 1919-3rd March 2001) was a career officer in the USAF who rose to the rank of Lt. Gen.

20140301 1a.jpg

The aircraft BuNo 42-67590, the first 'JANDINA' with a couple of the ground crew. This is the only pic I could find and these two guy are some of the ground crew.

P-38 Robbins BuNo 42-67590.jpg

This is Capt Jay Robbins standing in front of P-38J-15 'JANDINA III', not the subject of this build. This aircraft having flown throughout the spring in the hotly contested skies over Hollandia, was finally written off in a wheels up landing near Saidor on 7 May 1944,

P-38 Robbins by Aircraft.jpg

The only profile I could find, though the Eduard instructions are in very good colour.

P-38 J. BuNo 42-67590. Code 'Yellow A'.'Betty'. 80th FS, 8th FG. USAAF.jpg

One of my references, the kit and the guns.

20140301 1e.jpg

20140301 1b.jpg

20140301 1c.jpg

20140301 1d.jpg

This aircraft was one of the first J models to arrive in the Pacific Theatre. The machine is unlikely to have been used much by Robbins to score any of his kills, as from the New Year through to the end of March 1943, the 80th FS saw little action. As CO, Robbins had the spinners on his fighter decorated in non-standard red, white and blue colours, perhaps as an aid to identification when flying in formation.

Robbins started his career in 1941 and spent his wartime service in the Fifth Air Force in the Southwest Pacific and rose to command the 8th Fighter Group. At war's end, he was a quadruple ace with 22 kills.

Robbins claimed five Japanese fighters during the Hollandia missions in March and April 1944, taking his score up to 18 confirmed kills.

Brief early career biography of Lt. Gen. Jay Thorpe Robbins - Born in 1919 in Coolidge, Texas.
Graduated Texas A&M University in 1940, 2/LT ROTC

July 1941 flying training as an officer at Corsicana, Randolph and Victoria, Texas.
July 1942 fighter training 55th Fighter Squadron, 20th Pursuit Group, Morris Field, North Carolina, and Drew Field, Florida.
September 1942 assigned to the 80th FS, 8th FG 5 AF
First mission flown 17 January 1943
21 July 1943 scored 3 kills - 1 probable
4 September 1943 scored 4 kills, 2 probable's
24 October 1943 scored 4 kills
26 December 1943 scored 2 kills, 1 probable
Became 80FS CO January 1944 after death of Ed Cragg
March - August 1944 scored 8 more kills
Promoted to Major 22 May 1944
September 1944 became deputy commander of the group
Between February and November 1945 was Commander of the 434th Army Air Forces Base Unit, Santa Rosa Field, California

Robbins flew 607 hours, 181 combat missions in P-39 and P-38. Had 22 aerial victories, all of which over Japanese fighter aircraft. Was the fourth highest scorer in Pacific Theatre of Operations. He twice destroyed four enemy fighters during single missions and was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross for each of these battles.

Last edited:
nice vic.
This plane has never given me ride, all the kits I have seen problems mount give lace And though it is not an excuse, but you have not called me never to do so.

this is an airplane that promises so I get to your 5:00, 3000 feet below to follow

Nice choice Vic. I think this kit uses the Academy mouldings, though not sure. if so, then it's a nice kit even in 'basic' form, and shouldn't cause any problems.

Vic,

Excellent choice. Looking forward to this one. Terry is correct that this kit uses the academy molds. I found this out when I was hunting high and low for this kit but couldn't find it.
I have the academy kit with the master barrels, resin cockpit and eduard photetch set. I like the resin superchargers you get with the eduard kit though.

Holy Bovines...you and Jan...you'd think one would be enough of a challenge.
Actually I've got a P-38 in my stash and 3 or 4 built. Always been one of my favorites. Looking forward to your build

Oh, I am gonna watch this one closely, Vic. I have an Eduard Lightning on the stack so I hope to learn from this build.

Thanks guys, still hunting out pics on this one, I've a whole swag of detail, just a case of selecting the best as reference points. Looking at the nose gun bay, would like to try and replicate that, but a bit worried about nose weight room. Also like the look of popping in and engine. Decisions, decisions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back