**** DONE: 1/48 Grumman OA-9 Goose - Seaplanes / Floatplanes of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That's an idea George but I've never done any resin molding and don't really have time to get into it now.

More work on the rudder. The hinge slots have been cut and the trim tab and actuator added. Matching slots were cut into the tail fin (no pic) and bits of thick plastic sheet will be used as hinge points.

P7170959.JPG
P7170960.JPG

Last edited:
Been working a little bit every night on it but didn't take pictures. Sanded down the surface to make the rivets less obnoxious, engraved the rear fuselage door, cut off and dropped the kit elevators and did fine sanding on the rudder.

I'm still undecided on how to paint it, still looking at profiles and pictures. If I go with a navy scheme I'll have to get an Admin to change the heading from OA-9 to JRF as OA-9 is the Air Corps designation for the Goose

I'll try to post some pictures tonight.

Pictures as promised. Not the best, but I seem to be having trouble capturing the detail on this white plastic. I'll soon be attaching the horizontal tail surfaces and then cleaning up the engine cowls and wing floats in preparation for painting.

P7230962.JPG
P7230961.JPG

Last edited:
More work on the tail and its just about done.
1) I made up the rudder hinge pivots from plastic sheet. Each one was different and had to shaped to fit slots in the fin and the rudder.
2) Rudder test fitted
3) The whole assembly test fitted
I'll glue on the horizontal stabilizers on next, but leave the rudder off until after painting.

P7250963.JPG
P7250964.JPG
P7250967.JPG

Last edited:
Update for the last few days of work

1) The kit ADF antenna (left) was useless so I substituted a part from the spares box, Hobbycraft I think.
2) The mooring cleat was also useless so I made one up out of fine copper wire
3) The engines cowls mounted. The nacelles had to be worked on because they were bigger than the cowls (George, if you think Hobbycraft kits are bad you should try this baby)
4) The horizontal tail surfaces mounted with scratch built balance horns. Also the mounted ADF antenna can be seen.
5) It's now ready to start the paint and I've decided on this early was Navy scheme so I'll have to try to change the heading from OA-9 Goose to JRF Goose

P7270980.JPG
P7270981.JPG
P7270982.JPG
P7290983.JPG
go.jpg
Thanks guys

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back