**** DONE: 1/48 Grumman OA-9 Goose - Seaplanes / Floatplanes of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

T Bolt

Colonel
Mar 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
User Name: T Bolt
Name: Glenn
Category: Advanced
Kit: Lindberg OA9 Goose
Scale: 1/48th
Accessories: Might add wheels from the spares box and doo a bit of exterior modifications.

Don't have a lot of spare time right now so this will be a quickie. Not sure of the paint scheme just yet but it will be US Navy or Air Corps. The kit is very very basic with no interior except for a couple of seats and pilot figures which is just as well because not much will be visible through the windows. I will paint the interior as is and concentrate on the exterior. It looks like the rudder shape is wrong and there is some pretty good warp to the upper wing part I'll have to deal with but other than that it should go together pretty fast, but I'm sure there will be a lot of filling to do.

goose.jpg

Last edited:
Here's the parts trees. Like I said, very basic. I made a small start on it tonight painting the cockpit walls, roof and seats interior green with a dark wash and the rest of the interior black so nothing would show. The only other thing I might do to it is make up some seat harnesses as the seats might be vaguely visible through he windscreen.

P6090936.JPG
P6090937.JPG
P6090938.JPG
P6090939.JPG
P6090935.JPG
P6100940.JPG

Last edited:
Those old Lindberg kits bring back a lot of memories...
Are you going "Whole Hog", or just the lipstick?
'Cause, if anyone can do it, it's you!
Mind you, "W.H." will require possible dimension changes to the wing area. Lindberg would often short-change the wings. They were great about ships, but with aircraft they had a problem, mostly wing length.
Check your sources and scale it out, they usually missed by a couple of (scale) feet.

Those old Lindberg kits bring back a lot of memories...
Are you going "Whole Hog", or just the lipstick?
'Cause, if anyone can do it, it's you!
Mind you, "W.H." will require possible dimension changes to the wing area. Lindberg would often short-change the wings. They were great about ships, but with aircraft they had a problem, mostly wing length.
Check your sources and scale it out, they usually missed by a couple of (scale) feet.
Don't have the time to get too carried away with it right now. I don't know about the wing dimensions, I'll have to check it out tonight, but I know I'll be either making a new rudder or heavily modifying the existing one. It isn't even close to the right shape.

P6090936.JPG
G-21Aplanprototype2a-.jpg

Last edited:
The rudder has been cut off to be replaced at a later date. Windows masked and installed and the fuselage halves glued together.

P6110941.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks David

I did some math and took some measurements and it comes out 1/4" short in length and 3/8" short in wingspan. Not too bad but I got to thinking and ran the numbers for 1/50th scale and was right on for wingspan and 1/8" long in length which could be from the mis-shaped rudder. Some of these very old kits were made in 1/50th scale for some reason and I think this is one of them.

Going to follow your tail build up closely Glenn, lots of photos please. If it looks like I can follow you, this is what I want to build; Macmillan and Bloedels company aircraft....

Untitled.jpg

...not to concerned about the other dimensions.

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back