1/48 He 51B-2 Float Plane - Seaplanes / Floatplanes of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bill, damned good idea on the tensioning idea for the rod. Thanks for that hint. Looking real nice so far.

In hindsitght........... and a tip to anyone else silly enough to try this!

To prevent a floppy flat rod.
I would have drilled thru the wing for the flat rods, at one end.
Glue in the rod at the Other end first and let that end set.
Then with the rod TOOOO long, pull it thru the hole keeping a small bit of tension and glue in place.
Cut off the excess rod, fill and smooth the hole to finish.
Shoould end up with a nice taught, straight rod.

Dam, why didn't I think of this sooner.

That is exactly how I do it when I use string or wire. Your work is still looking pretty dam good!

Bill doing a lot of catching up with all the builds so, #1 good luck with the arm I hope all goes exactly as you want/wish/hope. #2 all your work and trials with these rods is unbelievable you have the patience of Job. Not something I would even begin to try to do. Great work

Well, I been picking at it, slowly, but pickin.

I've got all the Rods in the wings, wire at the struts done.

Got the tail feather wires ready to go in. Just glued the stabs on and will thread them tonight.
Have a plan for the floats. I am shaping a couple of bars to go across from one to the other, rather than wire. Smaller diameter rods to do the "X" between the floats. Then I have to add the wires on them to the wings. It's looking okay, finally.

I think by Thursday next week will be okay, actually Wed night. Thursday is surgery.

Attachments

• GB22 24a.jpg
    GB22 24a.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 55
  • GB22 24b.jpg
    GB22 24b.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 80
  • GB22 24c.jpg
    GB22 24c.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 60
  • GB22 24d.jpg
    GB22 24d.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 65
My one and.................... Only float plane!
I'm having a devil of a time trying to fit the floats..............

Paul.............. where are you??????????

So I heasrd from Paul, but alas, not before I started tackeling this this myownself.

I dislike little pieces joing to big pieces without some sort of suoort. So I have added locating pins, both ends of all four struts. Holes both in the fuselage and the floats. I stuck the front ones on, kinda flat at the float end of the strut, then lining up the second with the first, from the side. Yes, I am confused too. They are pretty stuck in place with the pin there. Then put on the rear struts with glue and when partially set I set them with the rear holes in the floats. I am letting them fully set now.

When I put the floats on I am gonna put a spreader bar between the floats, styrene rectangle with edges rounded, from port to starboard and fore and aft at the support struts. Then a .6mm styrene bar criss cross. These should hold the floats in place, as they would have on the plane itself.

I sailor on, onna fast boat!

Attachments

• GB22 25a.jpg
    GB22 25a.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 67

Users who are viewing this thread

Back