**** DONE: Curtiss P-40M Wairarapa Wildcat FO Geoffrey Fisken Commonwealth GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

T Bolt

Colonel
Mar 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
Curtiss P-40M Warhawk Wairarapa Wildcat Flying Officer Geoffrey Fisken

User name: T Bolt
Name: Glenn
Category: 2, Intermediate
Kit: Eduard P-40M Warhawk Profipack
Scale: 1/48th.
Accessories: None. The kit comes with masks, and many resin and photo etched parts.

This is my entry for the Commonwealth / Night Fighters Split Build I've had the kit on the shelf for years but have put off building it because all those resin and photo etched parts scared me off every time I looked into the box. This group build is the boot I needed to get me going. I probably won't do much more than research until I finish off at least a copule of my entrys from the BoB group build, but you never know.

ScannedImage-4.jpg

Last edited:
hey i was gonna do that one !!!!!

just kidding Glenn, but you know i will be copying you as i build mine inbetween bugging Ozhawk with questions about Aussie P-40's !!!!!!!
cant wait to see your magic sprinkled on this one

Here's a peek inside the box. Some nicely detailed plastic, masks, and a whole lot of resin and photo etched parts. I think I'm getting scared again. That photo etched fret has about 10 times as many PE parts as I've ever done altogether. Is there a name for the fear of using PE parts? Photoetchphobia maybe? I think I'm coming down with it.

PB023558.JPG
PB023559.JPG
PB023560.JPG
PB023561.JPG
PB023562.JPG
PB023563.JPG
PB023564.JPG

Last edited:
The cure for that disease is a drug you can get called SIINGTDATC, short for "Screw it, I'm not going to do all that crap".

A measure of sanity helps with those parts. There's many an Eduard piece I left on the fret without any guilt, even for a detail freak like me. That looks like a nice kit. Might need to get me one, scheduled to be built in 2018.

Hi Glenn

Just a couple of quick questions.

1) On the box top art, the white ID lines
appear to have red borders to them.

Do the kit decals reflect that as well? Or is it just the
box art (The ID lines should just be white)

2 The fuselage decals, do they have the 1 inch red dot in the centre
or blue circles?

Thanks

Alan

Here's scans of the decal sheets and the decal painting plan.. Should have posted it with the other stuff but forgot. Looks like the red stripes are separate.

decals 1.jpg
decals 2.jpg
decal plan.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Glenn

It's a pity the RNZAF roundels aren't darker (they should
be closer to Insignia blue)

However your model should look really nice when done.

I'm sure Geoff Fisken would be impressed though,
as I understand it he is the only surviving pilot from 14 Squadron.

Look forward to your build

Regards

Alan

I have been collecting info from the internet and so far I haven't found any pictures of the actual aircraft showing any of the ID bands, only nose shots. If the red borders were from the masking tape, and did show on the actual aircraft, shouldn't they be included even though it wasn't intentional? Does any one have pictures of Wairarapa Wildcat showing the ID bands.

Here ya go Glenn. It's a bit fuzzy though. :( . I'd tend to say no to the red outlines, but that's me.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• wairarapa wildcat.jpg
    wairarapa wildcat.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 482
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back