**** DONE: Revell P-61A 1/48 scale, Nocturnal Nemesis, Night Fighter GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Night Fighter Nut

Master Sergeant
Nov 3, 2009
Plano Texas
User Name: Night Fighter Nut.
Name: Bill
Catagory 2 Intermediate.
Model: P-61A
Scale: 1:48
Manufacturer: Revell
After Market: Eduard photo etch interior and exterior, Zotz decals, True Details resin wheels,Quick boost gun set, and some scratch building.

This is my very first attempt at a group build. I'm looking to build Nocturnal Nemesis, a P-61A of the 421st NFS. Flown by Lt. Dave T. Corts. This plane was at Tacloban, Leyte in November of 1944. I've been fortunate enough to find a few pictures of this bird and will be the first time I paint a widow in the olive color scheme. In the second photo I have another kit. Since I don't like to waste parts I also intend to build another Widow on a separate thread. I still believe I'm just a beginner but with all the detail I will be attempting, and with some practice, I hope to do well.

Attachments

• 28Oct2010 026.jpg
    28Oct2010 026.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 504
  • 28Oct2010 027.jpg
    28Oct2010 027.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 577
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice one Bill, looks like this is going to be an interesting GB with some pretty funky stuff in it so far

Thanks... I agree, lots of interesting planes in this GB. I have another night fighter I'm saving for the Eastern Front GB. The Pe3 Bis... :) A little more about this plane. Picked this up during a web search. :) Credited with one confirmed (during night action) - It was a Japanese bomber that was not directly shot down by them, but by another Japanese aircraft that was firing at them, missing and hitting one of their own aircraft, knocking it down!

Last edited:
Yeah it is a funky-looking plane. Good choice, and cool aftermarket. Looking forward to the build!

I have been so busy I've had very little time to do anything. Just trying to beat the first snowfall. Fortunately with the time I had I was able to put weight in the nose cone. I used some small fishing weights, a drop or two of white glue to fill in the gaps and sealed it off with JB weld. It's an epoxy you mix by kneeding it after you cut off what you think you will use for those not familiar with it. Here are the pix I was able to take with my camera and the large magnifying glass. :)

Attachments

• P61A 003.jpg
    P61A 003.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 311
  • P61A 004.jpg
    P61A 004.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 303
  • P61A 005.jpg
    P61A 005.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 311
  • P61A 006.jpg
    P61A 006.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 311
Hope it's enough. I recall that kit being VERY tail heavy when I build it many moons ago.

Thanks guys. This model is a bit tail heavy but I still have a few tricks up my sleeve. The lead fishing weights work well. I had to crush them to make more room and filled up the entire cone with them. The JB weld is only a thin layer that holds all those weights in nicely. I used the hobby knife to trim the excess so that it would fit well when I add it to the fuselage.

Good start Bill. I guess you'll be looking at any possible place to stuff weight - engine cowlings, under the floors etc,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back