**** DONE: Spitfire MkVIII, 136 Squadron RAF, Burma, 1944, Commonwealth GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
Username: Airframes.
Name: Terry.
Category: Judge, non-competing.
Kit: ICM Spitfire MkVIII.
Scale. 1/48th.
Accessories: Almark and home-made decals, some scratch-building.

Spitfire MkVII flown by F/Sgt Bob Cross, DFM, 136 Sqn., RAF,Arakan, Burma, 1944.
It's about time I got this thread, and the build, underway, although I'll be posting the background and more info later, when I've received some copy pages of Bob Cross's Log Book.
So far, a definite serial number for one of the MkVIIIs flown by Bob has not been established, although some of the Log Book entries might allow me to narrow things down, working just from the individual aircraft code letters entered in his Log, and I think I might already have a contender.
As some of you will know, this model is being built at the request of Max, who's wife Barbara is the niece of the late Bob Cross, the highest scoring RAF pilot, of the highest scoring RAF squadron in SEAC, or more correctly, ACSEA (Air Command, South East Asia).
It is an honour and a privilege to be asked to do this, and I only hope I can do the model justice, as a tribute to Bob, and all those who served in the 'Forgotten War', and as a fitting memento for the family.
As soon as I have all the information collated with my research to date, I'll post the fascinating story and background, and I hope to make a start on the model itself over the weekend, once the final touches have been completed on the BoB GB Hurricane.
EDIT: The background info on the Squadron, and Bob Cross, is now added below, in PDF form, for ease of viewing. Enjoy!

Attachments

• Microsoft Word - 136 Squadron Background.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 372
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Andy and David, and I'm looking forward to it too!
Yep, it's the same kit throughout the ICM range (except the MkXVI low-back), just different decals. Means some good stuff for the spares box !

Thanks Terry
Log Book will be in the post Monday provided that there is no more snow! Barbara I await progress og the build with excitement! We know you are going to make a fabulous job of it!!
BR
Max Barbara

Terry, Osprey's "Spitfire aces of Burma and the Pacific" has a profile of a MkVIII flown by cross. It shows HM-B MT567, which it states he flew but did not claim any victories in.
HTH

Thanks very much guys.
Thanks Andy. That's the only one I've been able to correlate, serial and code, probably flown by Bob.(No serial numbers in his Log Book, only individual codes, 'B' being one of them) However, I have a number of copies in different publications, showing the well-known shot of 'B' at the head of the line-up in the Cocos, in September 1945, with captions stating MT567 and MT657 !!
Sod's law, the Morgan / Shacklady book lists all serial numbers of all Spits built, and, normally, their users. But all the MkVIIIs are only shown as issued to MUs, and then where shipped to, for example, India !
And of course, both of the above serials ended up in - India!!
But, if you have the profile, any chance of posting it anyway?
Cheers.

here you go mate, didn't know i had it sorry :rolleyes:

Attachments

• cross.jpg
    cross.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 490
Thanks mate! Should come in useful. According to some info I have, the code letters were the same pale blue as the centre of the roundels, which seems to correspond to the tones in the B&W photos. However, I'm still looking at this, as other squadrons seemed to have either white or 'Sky' codes.

Last edited:
found this as well, dunno if you've seen it before.
profile and picture are both from Osprey - Aircraft of the Aces. #087. Spitfire Aces of Burma and the Pacific

Attachments

• cross2.jpg
    cross2.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 211
Thanks Karl. The same pic is in 'Spitfires over the Arakan', and I've got another in 'The Woodpecker Story', which Max loaned me. I see the Osprey book doesn't mention the 'Damaged' and 'Probables' Bob got.

here you go mate, didn't know i had it sorry :rolleyes:

Hi Guys
Just checked Bobs Log Book which says on 8th April he flew mk V111 'F' on 1 sortie described as 'Patrol: Aberdeen'. Duration 1hr 30 mins.
Terry its going to be a lot easier for you when you get copy!
BR
Max
:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back