**** DONE: Academy 1/72 Fw 190A-4 of 1./JG 51, Russia, 1943 VVS/Eastern Front GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

imalko

Chief Master Sergeant
Mar 2, 2009
Vojvodina, Serbia
Username: imalko
First name: Igor
Category: Category 2/Intermediate
Scale: 1:72
Manufacturer: Academy
Model Type: Focke Wulf Fw 190A-4
Details: "White 11" of 1./JG 51, Eastern Front, Spring 1943
Decals: national insignia decals provided with the kit, swastikas from after market set and white numbers from my stash

This is my second and final entry for this group build - Academy kit in 1/72 scale which provides options for building A-6 and A-8 variants of Fw 190 and decals for III/JG54 aircraft in Reichverteidigung role. Since I intend to build Fw 190A-4 version some corrections will be needed on main wings. Shape of the tail fin is also wrong which I will try to rectify, but more about this in due time. I'll probably start working on this one in next few weeks when I finish other projects currently under way.

Attachments

• Fw - 1_01.jpg
    Fw - 1_01.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 276
Last edited by a moderator:
As said above the subject of this build is going to be a Fw 190A-4 serving with 1./JG 51 on the Eastern front in 1943. The factory finish RLM 74/74/76 on this aircraft was over painted with nonstandard two tone dark green camouflage favored by some Jagdgeschwadern in the east - most notably JG 51, JG 54 and JG 77. The main reason for introduction of this kind of fighter camo scheme was probably to better conceal aircraft on the ground.

Source of the material posted below: Jagdwaffe Vol 4 Sect 3.

Attachments

• Fw - 1_02.jpg
    Fw - 1_02.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 325
  • Fw - 1_03.jpg
    Fw - 1_03.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 341
Unfortunately the calculation is wrong I'm afraid. 15cm doesn't equal 15mm because it is 150mm but not 1.5cm (15mm). So the 15cm=2.08mm for 1/72 scale. Taking the Fw190 fuselage length into consideration, the lack of the 2mm in that makes the huge difference of the general shape of the model for the 1/72 scale. Especailly , that the Academy model has too long "nose" (about 1.5mm at the front of the engine cowling).

So, is it a 15cm difference in real size between A-4 and A-6 or not? If yes, then yours and my calculations are consistent Wojtek: 15cm(150mm) -> 2mm and 15mm -> 0.2mm for 1/72nd scale.

Yes Igor the real difference between A-4 and A-6 length was 15cm. A-6 was longer. So if you want to get the difference for the 1/72 scale you have to divide 150mm (15cm=150mm) by 72 what gives 2.08mm for this scale. It means that 1/72 scale model of A-4 should be 2mm shorter then A-6 of the same scale.

Agreed. Same as I calculated. I'll see how it goes once I start working on it.
The shortening of the fuselage is to be done in the nose section I assume...?

The engine cowling is too long of about 1.5mm for A-6 variant. So for A-4 it is too long of 3.5mm in total. Please check my thread about the Academy model you will find there some info on that. You might find that interesting.

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/group-builds/fw190a6-sturmjager-sturmstaffel1-16915.html

Thanks for the link Wojtek. Yes, I remember that particular project of yours. Some impressive work and serious "model surgery" going on there. Once I start working on this model I intend to address some of the issues you pointed out to achieve better accuracy, but not to the same extent due to my lack of your level of skill and limited time frame of the group build itself. We'll see how it goes...

Thanks for the link Wojtek. Yes, I remember that particular project of yours. Some impressive work and serious "model surgery" going on there. Once I start working on this model I intend to address some of the issues you pointed out to achieve better accuracy, but not to the same extent due to my lack of your level of skill and limited time frame of the group build itself. We'll see how it goes...

No problem at all Igor. It's up to you only whay accuracy you can achieve. So I agree with you. Especially that Wayne's model is an evidence that even a such incorrect model can look very nice when nice painted.

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/your-completed-kits/waynes-award-winning-models-14341-49.html

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/your-completed-kits/waynes-award-winning-models-14341-50.html

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back