B-24 Liberator "Sage Lady" Color Marking Help (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hey Chris,

I've been away from my research on your uncle for awhile but caught the bug again on vacation. The wife and kids were hanging out in a book store in downtown Rapid City SD, not my thing, so I wandered off and found a cool hobby shop called Who's Hobby. Stumbled across a Monogram B-24J in 1:48 scale and bought it. I decided I needed to do a bunch of research before I got started on the build and found this site. Good thing I did because my model would have been way off otherwise. The folks on this site seem to be very knowledgeable and I feel like I'm on the right track now. I've assembled a few small things but mainly I'm accumulating aftermarket parts to hopefully enhance the finished model and make it a little more accurate.

The Hot Shotsie was a B-24G and of course the Sage Lady was a B-24H. My research indicates this would have meant a completely different nose and turret being grafted onto the plane for the H conversion. It just so happens this modification would have eliminated Hot Shotsie's bomb and kill markings near the turret so I guess that question is answered??? I also found that an old west slang term for a lady was a "Sage Hen". So I'm grasping at straws but maybe the cowgirl nose art remained and hence the name Sage Lady???? Heck I don't know for sure but seems to make as much sense as anything. I'm almost finished creating the cowgirl nose art in graphic form so I can make decals of it. If nothing else I can build a Hot Shotsie later and use the art on that. Still on the fence as to whether or not to put it on the Sage Lady.

As for the ship number the 723rd seems to have used battle numbers in the 60's through 90's. I eliminated all of the known 723rd battle numbers from a list of 60-99 which left me with several possibilities. 94 was one of the possible numbers. I picked it because 49 was the last 2 numbers in Chuck's Army serial number. I wanted to use 49 but like I said the 723rd didn't seem to use numbers in that range so I just used the numbers in reverse. Good to hear from you.

Todd

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies and input guys. I've redone my tail art once again to reflect the information received over the past couple days. Once again let me know any thoughts on improving the accuracy.
Just found this site Todd. Maybe someday a pic of the Sage Lady will turn up somewhere. Mom would have been so excited to see all the info that's been found about her brother's plane. Clint

Users who are viewing this thread

Back