Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: P-51 D interior cockpit green code ?

Post Thanks / Like

P-51 D interior cockpit green code ?

Can any of the guru's out there in WW2Aircraft land, confirm the correct paint code....not modelling paint code....for the interior cockpit green used in American (not british) late model D Mustangs.

Thanks in advance
    Cheers

Gary

My P-51D Cockpit Project http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/sta...ect-18113.html

Life's goal is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out and broken, shouting "Holy cr*p, WHAT A RIDE !!"

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I've got the correct FS number(s) somewhere Gary. Bear with me a day or two, and I'll try to find them in the pile of junk that passes for my 'reserve reference sources!
    Terry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Top man !

No immediate rush as I'm not starting cutting the fuselage skins till next week. Then its Firewall and a rear bulkhead and then figure out a way to make the longerons. Then I'll need the paint !
    Cheers

Gary

Life's goal is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out and broken, shouting "Holy cr*p, WHAT A RIDE !!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Gary. I found a 'reserve refernce source' stack next to my desk - forgot I'd used it not long ago!
    Right, the P51D/K cockpit colour is specified as 'Interior Green, ANA611'. I thought I had a FS number, but I only have the 'old' system number. You'll be able to get a match to a FS number via one of the modelling paint references for 'Interior Green'. The seat was painted Olive Drab 41, and the scuttle over the instrument panel was, originally, specified as Dull Dark Green, which matched Medium Green 42. This part was later painted in a continuation of the Olive Drab 41 of the anti-glare area of the upper cowling. The plywood floor was clear-laquered plywood, but very often painted in the Interior Green, as was the central well for the control column. All 'bolt on' fittings were semi-matt black, but the pedestal for the throttle group and trim switches was the 'Interior Green'. The interior mounting port for the flare pistol, and it's spring-loaded cover, was natural dull metal, probably with a slight 'goldish' tint. I'll attach a couple of B&W pics that might be of use in a separate post. Hope this has helped.
    Terry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good info Terry.In addition to your post:
    The P-51D had their cockpit painted with FS34151 what is ANA611 Interior Green or .But you should remember that the primer was applied firstly.These primers were two FS33481 Zinc Chromate Primer type1 yellow and FS34258 Zinc Chromate Primer type2 Tint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that Wojtek, I forgot about the primers!
    Gary, the 'yellow' zinc Chromate primer was the one used for areas subject to exposure, such as the inside of the engine bay, the tail wheel well, the gun-bay doors and walls, (ammo trays were Interior Green) and the front of the main spar in the main undercarriage bay. This is the one with the sickly yellow, just-a-hint-of-green colour. The second primer was used overall inside, on 'bare areas, and under the cockpit finishing colour of ANA611, which Wojtek has kindly produced the Federal Standard number for. Note, contrary to popular belief, among modellers at least, the inside of the wheel bays, and the inside of the undercarriage doors, were NOT painted. These were coated in a clear protective laquer, with the colour showing as glazed bare aluminium. The main U/C legs were treated with a coating containing powdered aluminium, which gave the appearance of a very light greyish-silver. The wheel yokes themselves were a dull, greyish bare metal. The enclosed pics might be of use. Note that the front half of the undercarriage lever, on the lower port pedestal, was painted red.
    Cheers,
    Terry.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -build.jpg   -build-063.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wurger View Post
    The P-51D had their cockpit painted with FS34151 what is ANA611 Interior Green or .But you should remember that the primer was applied firstly.These primers were two FS33481 Zinc Chromate Primer type1 yellow and FS34258 Zinc Chromate Primer type2 Tint.
    The green seemed to be applied to the crew-occupied areas whilst the yellow was applied everywhere else eg engine nacelle interiors, gun bays, access panels. I don't recall reading that another green was used on top of the zinc chromate.

Post Thanks / Like
    ANA 611 interior green wasn't a primer.Of course there is always a possiblilty that in cockpit area the primer wasn't used and the Interior Green was applied on bare metal.But generally all metal parts were painted with Zinc Chromate Primer in order to get a preservation of these parts.So it is possible that the Interior Green was painted on the primer as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting info guys, thanks!!!

"Valor does not mean Hero."

Post Thanks / Like
    Just to clarify, the 'second' primer, as I called it, was Zinc Chromate Green, and, as Wojtek also suggested, would be applied to those other areas not covered by the 'yellow' primer.
    The interior colours of OTHER U.S. aircraft varied dependant on manufacturer and, in many cases, the factory that produced them. For instance, a commonly used colour was 'Bonze Green', seen, for example, inside some B25's, which was darker then ANA611 'Interior Green', and a bit similar to the second, Green Zinc Chromate in shade. There were, of course, other internal finishes, some of which, for example on late-model B17's, was laquered bare metal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good points Terry. The same situation was with the wooden and metal floors for P-51s.

Post Thanks / Like
    Out bl**dy standing !!!.

A huge thanks guys, for this info and detail, really appreciate your time and effort....
    Cheers

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Gary, on which project are you working now? Just curious...think I missed something...

...in memory of my friend Joe Owsianik, a former right waist gunner from B-17G, 42-97159 from 2ndBG 20th Sqdn, who was forced to bail out on Aug. 29th, 1944 over my country. Joe passed away on November 1, 2010.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Roman

My project is to build a full scale, P-51D 'procedures trainer' cockpit. I aim to build from the firewall to the rear of the pilots seat, and everything in between. If there's a switch to flick or a knob to turn, it will be in my cockpit.

Ideally, I would like to make the cockpit go 'live' when completed so it could be linked to a suitable flight sim....but thats quite a a way off yet !.

Assuming things go to plan, I will start a thread about it in the next few weeks after some planned intensive building !
    Cheers

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Aha! So good luck my friend, looking forward to your thread!

...in memory of my friend Joe Owsianik, a former right waist gunner from B-17G, 42-97159 from 2ndBG 20th Sqdn, who was forced to bail out on Aug. 29th, 1944 over my country. Joe passed away on November 1, 2010.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast