Dornier Do-17 E/F camouflage (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bullo Loris

Senior Airman
Oct 14, 2006
Hi mates,

same request as my first about Lysander

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/ai...flage/westland-lysander-camouflage-23649.html

but now about Dornier Do-17 E/F Airfix 1/72, here the description:

1) Dornier Do-17 F, German Luftwaffe 1937 camouflage, the model gave by Airfix G2BH

2) Dornier Do-17 E, German Luftwaffe 1937 camouflage, the model gave by Airfix 54A39

i don't know If the 2 versions of colours are the same, here I wrote the 2 possibilities of the Airfix kits...

I need the camouflage of the Spain Civil war If it's possible...

Thanks a lot an avant.

Regards.

Loris

Last edited:
In 1937 the camo scheme for Do-17 consisted of three colours on the top and sides , RLM63 Hellgrau, RLM62 Grun, RLM61 Dunkelbraun. And RLM 65 Hellblau on undersides.
If the camo consisted of two paints on top and sides ( RLM70 Szwarzgrun / RLM 71 Dunkelgru ) and one on undrsides ( RLM 65 Hellblau) these Dorniers wore camo scheme introduced in Autumn 1938 but not in 1937.
However many Do-17s were still wearing the camo of 1937 even in September 1939 during Polish Campaign.

The three-colour camo scheme looked on upper surfaces like this one from Kagero book about Do-17.The Do-17 wore the same three-colour camo scheme during the Spanish Civil War as well.The difference were the national markings.

Attachments

• Do-17E-1.jpg
    Do-17E-1.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 2,542
  • Do-17E-1_.jpg
    Do-17E-1_.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 1,807
  • Do 17 .A_88 profile.jpg
    Do 17 .A_88 profile.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 1,626
Last edited:
There is a photo of a Dornier 17E B9+RJ (???) on the net that in a black and white photo is a dark gray overall, and clearly does not have the RLM65 undersides. Could anyone tell me more about the colors used, and the intended theater of operation??

Attachments

• Do 17E.jpg
    Do 17E.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 990
Last edited:
It seems that it could be the black colour for the Do-17F-1. It would suggest a recce plane used at night. However , the side letter code is BB+RJ but not B9+RJ and indicates a plane of the Flugzeugführerschule (FFS) C 9 in Altenburg. So.. I would say it might have been the RLM 22 Schwartz because German training Do-17s were painted with the one.

Here another one of the similar camo scheme.

4735217382_23d7f8e7fd_o.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Wurger.
Interesting the Germans used black / schwartz as a color scheme for training. What I think I know is that Allied training planes favored yellow, orange, red, and aluminum dope color schemes. But then again, there weren't enemy fighters wandering around the United States looking to shoot up anything that moved.

PS I thought the side code looked like BB+RJ. But I said to myself, naw, it can't be all letters, it just has to be numbers and letters. Wrong again.

I see. Of course the German training planes were of other colours as well. But the black one was just one of them. As far as the letter code is concerned.. most of LW squadrons used the letters and numbers for codes. However each plane being assembled and sent from a factory to an unit , wore the radio code that consisted of letters only at sides of fuselage. A such code was overpainted or removed by mainteneance crews mostly. And for farther usage an aircraft was wearing the unit code or a number or special symbols for commanding officers. It depended on a kind of an unit I mean, a fighter squadron, bomber one or recce unit... etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back