JU-82B-2 SNAKE MARKING (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

at6

1st Sergeant
Jun 15, 2011
Fresno, California
I am getting ready to build the Pro modeler JU-87B in North African desert markings using the Snake decal. The kit only includes this for the left side and the instructions seem to indicate that to be the case. Is the Pro modeler kit wrong or did the plane have the snake on both sides?

Unfortunately all known pictures of either T6+AN or T6+DB show the port sides of these planes only. So it is difficult to say if the kind of marking was applied on both sides of the fuselages. Here a couple of images.

Polz4.jpg

Polz3.jpg

Polz2.gif

Ju87R-2HubertPlz6StG2TmimiLibiav-2.jpg

Ju87R-2HubertPlz6StG2TmimiLibiaver1.jpg

Ju87R-2HubertPlz6StG2TmimiLibiav-1.jpg

Ju87R-2TropHubertPlz6StG2Libia19-2.jpg

Ju87R-2TropHubertPlz6StG2Libia19410.jpg

GluIz.jpg

Ju87R-2T6AN5StG2Libiasep1941.jpg

Ju87R-2TropT6DPHubertPlz6StG2Libia1.jpg

However the Kagero in the booklet Units 3 St.G 2 "Immelmann" Nr. 97003 suggests the snaky markings on both sides of the T6+DB.

9290-deckel.jpg

9290-126544.jpg

the source: the net.

THX Wayne. :D

Additionally... the Kagero Monography no.25 for Ju-87 suggests the snake at the port side only for the T6+AN.

Last edited:
When I built one of these I put a snake on both sides.

PSide_web_zps6ee77cb8.gif

SRQtr_web_zpsf07ee85f.gif

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Other units who applied this sort of thing did apply them to both sides, JGr.10's Fw 190s for example.

I think Wurger has hit the nail on the head, whatever you decide is neither right nor wrong.

Incidentally the RLM 65 on the rudder of my subject in the profile above is, I believe, completely spurious and a trick of the light falling on a deflected rudder in the source photograph. The pertinent question is why on earth would it be there? Others will beg to differ :)

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I found a photo of T6+AN which proves that the snake was only on one side. Kagero got it right and so did Monogram.
T6+AN_1.jpg

Thanks guys, I found a photo of T6+AN which proves that the snake was only on one side. Kagero got it right and so did Monogram.View attachment 270864

Assuming the snake(s) had been applied when that photograph was taken.
They were applied after the tropical 'adjustment' to the camouflage. Without dates I would say that the case is still open. If we can date that photograph to the same time as, or after, those showing the port side then I agree that Kagero and Monogram got it right.
Cheers
Steve

I know there are some pictures of the snake stukas in Luftwaffe im Focus. I will check, but I seem to remember the pictures only being taken from the port side. At least they are not adding red in the snake like the ESCI decals I have!

The photo was listed as taken by the British Army when the plane made an emergency landing in North Africa. That would mean that the personnel are from a British crew examining the plane. Perhaps the decal manufacturers and the Model companies thought that as it usually was with most Luftwaffe planes that the markings would be on both sides. I know that many moons ago Revell offered the model in 1/32 scale with the snakes applied to both sides.

Last edited:
When I built one of these I put a snake on both sides.

PSide_web_zps6ee77cb8.gif

SRQtr_web_zpsf07ee85f.gif

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Other units who applied this sort of thing did apply them to both sides, JGr.10's Fw 190s for example.

I think Wurger has hit the nail on the head, whatever you decide is neither right nor wrong.

Incidentally the RLM 65 on the rudder of my subject in the profile above is, I believe, completely spurious and a trick of the light falling on a deflected rudder in the source photograph. The pertinent question is why on earth would it be there? Others will beg to differ :)

Cheers

Steve
What the heck? The Stuka still looks good either way. Would love to do a 190 in the snake motif.

The Luftwaffe Im Focus is issue #7 and the photos contained in this thread are also shown in the issue so no right side views as I suspected. A wonderful variation on the standard camo scheme.

I say both sides, erring on the side of tectonic thoroughness! Achtung!

What the heck? The Stuka still looks good either way. Would love to do a 190 in the snake motif.

I'm doing one now, but it's 1/72, much smaller than the scales I normally work in which is fun, and still a work in progress!

IMG_1206_zps788599f6.gif

Cheers

Steve

Is there some info about the upper wing paint scheme on Stuka T6+DP?
Look at Stona's posting of his model. Also, if you can find Revell's instructions for the Ju87, the markings are close to what you want. I thought my Ju87B was T6+AN but When I got the box out of my stash it is T6+CP. Also try Googling Stuka T6+DP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back