Paint Scheme P-47D Trainer (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

rmoore5463

Recruit
Jul 31, 2008
San Francisco, CA
I am looking for information about paint schemes used on P-47D Training Aircraft used to train pilots for overseas duty between the years 1944 and 1945. I have flight logs from my father indicating that he was trained in the P-47D at Majors Field, Texas and Bruning AAF, Nebraska after flying P-39s and P-400s in North Africa. He passed away last week at the age of 92 and I wanted to make 1/48 scale models of the planes he flew during World War ll. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Hi rmoore5463, I havent found any pictures at this base so far but did find this year book. I removed some of the blank pages and reduced the file size for easier download. It would be a small world if your father's picture was inside.

Source below.
WWII Army Air Forces Collection

Attachments

• baseleq.pdf
    8 MB · Views: 192
Thanks very much. My father lived in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.....actually Wauwatosa. I noticed that you live in Wisconsin. Looking forward to your help.

Rick

Hi rmoore5463, Im striking out, You wouldnt happen to know what fighter group he belonged to. Some times you can find pictures of crews with trainers in books that are about the squadron.

Thank Paul

I agree with Micdrow.What is more, what kind of the P-47 trainer are you looking for ? two-seater of single one? Maybe you can find in the log book serial numbers of your father's P-47s.

To your father :salute:

Yes, I do have his flight logs that I recovered when going through his things after he past away. They're amazing. When he returned from the MTO, he trained in P-47Ds when he was attached to the 2nd AF, 72nd FW, 262 FPTS at Bruning AAF, Nebraska in August 1944. Maybe there is some record of that unit in your resources. Again, thanks for all your help. He was an amazing man. He logged over 1,000 hours as a persuit pilot and flight instructor in P-39s, P-38s, P-47s, UC-78s, and BT-138s. He earned a purple heart (he was wounded on a straffing mission when his canopy was shot off) and the Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back