RAF Markings and Camouflage (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It is a good idea Paul.Go ahead.:D

Have you had any problems with unziping or opening the "Battle material 4.zip" file?

Nope, no problems here with unzipping. Just made the file. You can zoom in and out to the area's you need to look to read it better.

Attachments

• Battle Materials.pdf
    944.3 KB · Views: 593
From me too, Paul, thanks mate! :D
In answer to your PM Wojtek, I couldn't open the zip file (the work computer is very choosey...) but managed to open Paul's Pdf file alright.

Thanks guys! :D

No worries mate! I typed out an article on CAC Boomerang camouflage and markings too which Wojtek also kindly scanned the pics of for me. Although primarily dealing the Boomerang, it also touches on RAF, RAAF and USAAF painting practices a little - would that fit in here, or rather a seperate thread?

Ok, thanks mate!

..Is there a RAAF camouflage and markings thread? I tried a word search, but just came up with the RAAF Lancaster and RAAF Kittyhawk threads.

Please tell me about the yellow paint on the wing leading edges of fighter that started about 1941. For some reason it is not mentioned in the Harleyford books on the Spitfire or markings of the world.
Was it done only in England? What about the Med? I don't think it was done in the pacific or Indo-China theaters. The Japanese appear to have had the same idae but they used the inboard part of the wing's leading edge.

These yellow stripes on leading edges of wings were used by RAF as a quick identification element.These were painted on RAF Fighter Command fighters operated during a day and on bombers rarely.The main rule said that the strip started at the half of the wing lenght and going up to a wing tip. Its width depended on the fighter type.

Gentlemen,
I am interested in modelling the PBY-5A Catalina and the F4U Corsair Mk1 in British colors but I don't know where to look for 3 views of the painting templates and color options. Everything here is biased towards US Blue.
Can you point me in the right direction?
Thank you for your consideration!

Attachments

• Corsair GB.jpg
    Corsair GB.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 804
Useful stuff Wojtek. Would you know if the Corsairs shown as being in 1945, actually saw service before the war ended? One of those might suit me for the PTO Group Build.

Terry, I can't be completely certain, however all of the Corsairs with Pacific Fleet roundels would have most likely seen service, however the one shown with the standard roundels probably would not have, at least not in that scheme.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back